Chapter 21- The hammock

"Have I told you how much I love the way your hair smells"

"Mmh I figured, you're always smelling my hair" she leaned more into him placing her head on his shoulder where she fit so perfectly.

"It's breathtaking " he expressed vaguely inhaling in deep the floral scent that enveloped her.

"Cherry blossom shampoo by the way "

" I know " that comment from him made her turn her head to the side giving an inquisitive look.

"We used to have this huge cherry blossom tree back at my grandmas house, it's a scent that lives with you. It smells like home" he exhaled giving an involuntary smile.

"I didn't even know cherry blossoms grow here"

"They thrive in Japan commonly known sakura, and most Asian countries but she had it imported to have a piece of her old life in her backyard from when she lived in Japan. I don't remember much from those earlier years but all I know is that she loved that tree, so did I. I spent every spring under that tree. When it bloomed I knew it was an indication that the seasons were changing and I could hang up my winter coat and look forward to the days that I can just go up and about in a T-shirt. It's just a mere tree that I couldn't even climb because the branches were fragile and without the leaves it used to scare me shitless the rest of the year like that weird tree from Harry Potter."

"The whomping willow tree" she chimed in a little not trying to defer him from touching more on the subject.

"Yes, that thing used to shadow over into my room when the flowers haven't blossomed in the other seasons. "

"That scene from the movie when the tree caught their car gave me nightmares for weeks, I can't imagine having a shadow of something like that in my childhood bedroom" she scrunched up her face in horror, but that was easily one of the best movies she had ever enjoyed at a young age.

"Yeah it was scary for the most part, but I still enjoyed it when it was spring time. There was a kid next door to our house, my only friend at the time. We used to play under that tree pretending we were power rangers or some stupid shit like that" he chuckled in delight at the fond memories of his childhood.

"Let me guess, you were always the red power ranger?" she beamed up to him her eyebrows raised inquisitively.

"Definitely, and I bet you always pretended to be the pink power ranger, I can't be the only one who had a wild imagination as a kid"

"I hate to admit but you guessed it, Kayla was always the yellow power ranger, she claimed it fit her blonde hair. And I chose the pink one because, well I like pink" they reminisced about the good old day when life was so simple and could just live out their imagination and dreams in the backyard. "You said your Grandma lived in japan?"

"Yeah she taught English in Kyoto for a while, that's where my mom was born actually. I'm not sure about her dad no one ever talked about him." He stared for a brief moment into the beautiful vast space in front of them before recovering "I think she missed her life back there I often stumbled upon her talking to the tree about it when she was sick. From the few things I could catch and decipher now that I'm older, she wished she was back there living the life that was totally different from here, a life much simpler. It rooted her to a point in time when she was present and at her happiest "

"That's very sweet yet daunting at the same time" she looked up at him again meeting his alluring amber eyes. Megan knew home was a touchy subject for him but from the way they shone brightly in the sun, he was reliving the good memories from his past . Not the memories that drew him to a dark place, despite the mention of his grandmas dementia and talking to the tree, he still cherished the moments in his life that weren't all but troubled. "Can you tell me more about it?"