Chapter 9 - The bonfire

A/N Vanilla by Holly Humberstone kinda sums up Megan and Brandon's relationship for me, check it out.

***

The night was warm when they arrived at the bonfire. It was near the shack they first had the party a few nights ago. They ordered something to eat first before heading down to where the fire was and sat down in a circle with a couple of their other friends from school. Megan was sitting in the middle of Kayla and Jeremy, Heather on his other side. She watched the little flames on the fire dance around as soft music played in the background. It was such a different vibe compared to the party the other day. It was mellow and not too loud so people could just hang out and talk.

"I'm going to get us some drinks, do you guys want anything? " Jeremy offered as he stood up from his spot.

"Get us some apple ciders please!" Kayla said her eyes lighting up in the reflection of the fire.

"Same" Megan agreed she could use a drink.

"Gotcha" Jeremy disappeared into the night coming back with three bottles of apple ciders for the girls and a beer for himself.

There weren't that many people but a large sum regardless. Megan wondered if Ryan was out that night, she would really love to see him again. They had literally just seen each other a few hours ago but she kinda missed him already.

She wondered why she didn't get his number, it would have been so easy to just text him and invite him over. But then again he hadn't asked for her number either. She sighed as she took the last sip of her drink, that went down so fast. They might as well get a six pack if they were going to down the bottles that quick.

She looked over at Kayla who had also just finished hers and said "I think we could go and just get a six pack, it would be better" which she agreed to. Of course she was going to agree, the girl loved to party.

They made their way to the makeshift bar and ordered themselves the drinks. They weren't of legal drinking age but there was a guy with his alcohol stand selling alcohol to them from a small makeshift bar. They really didn't care of the legalities, after all they were just teenagers trying to have fun.

Megan's eyes wondered around as they waited for their drinks still searching for Ryan and Kayla noticed.

"Are you looking for lover boy?" She laughed at the nickname her friend had chosen for him.

"Am I being that obvious?" She asked playing with the lock of hair that was falling in front of her face. Why was she always thinking about him? She bit her lip remembering the way his lips tasted earlier on when he escorted her to her hostel.

"Well not really, but I know you and basically I can read your mind" she chuckled a bit. They have only been inseparable for a lifetime, it was too easy to read each other's minds.

"We kissed today!" She blurted out before she could even think too much about it. It's not like she was hiding it, but she didn't want Kayla making it such a big deal like she always does in front of people they didn't know.

"Is that why you're glowing more than usual?" She mocked making a kissy pouty face "tell me all about it" she said not even concealing her excitement. Megan told her about the kiss and how sweet and funny he was when they hang out earlier.

"I like this for you, I feel like you're getting back to your old self again" Kayla admitted, she had watched her friend go from being in a sunken place to slowly coming out of the rock she had been buried under over a month ago. She needed to move on, whether it was with the help of a new guy or alone.

Before she could even respond the guy behind the tiny bar stand handed them their pack and she thanked him. He just smiled at her and nodded. Her eyes wondered again but landed on someone she didn't want to see.