IELTS Summary Example-Line Graph

The graphs below show the enrolments of overseas students and local students in Australian universities over a ten year period.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

You should write at least 150 words.

The given line graph illustrates the number of overseas students and local students enrolled in Australian universities from the year 2001 to 2010.

Overall, the university has significantly more enrolments of local students than those of students overseas. Over a decade, both commencing and total enrolments from students overseas saw a sharp increase, meanwhile, the number of total and commencing enrolments from local students stalled and fluctuated respectively.

The number of commencing enrolments in overseas students gradually increased from the year 2001 to 2009, hitting its peak in 2010 with a little over 40000 students, whereas the number of commencing enrolments in local students constantly fluctuated during the ten-year period and had little increase overall.

On the other hand, the number of total enrolments in both overseas and local students increased significantly from the year 2001 to 2007. The number of total enrolments overseas continued its sharp increase, while the number of total enrolments from local students stalled at around 600000 enrolments for three years after.