Is the fashion industry a threat?(C2)

CEFR C2

Topic not given

Write your essay.

The society we live in today is characterized by technology and evolution in constant development, expeditious traveling, and information gathering and processing, all being able to reach people in a blink of an eye. In this case, the fashion industry of all is having an increasingly paramount role in our lives. However, some state it as ridiculously superficial, even a detrimental threat to humanity in the near future.

On one hand, the fashion industry is undeniably a major source of profit and income. It creates millions and millions of career opportunities in every city and generates billions of dollars annually throughout the globe. Furthermore, such a profitable and widespread business is also believed to be able to spread awareness and raise a considerable sum for certain issues or make known the various cultures people have, thus encouraging and enhancing a better understanding of each other and a better world overall.

Nevertheless, for those who are neither impressed nor motivated by theories or figures, on the other hand, the fashion industry is also seen as one which groups people, shunting those who do not fit its principles and commands. It is also stated that people, especially adolescents among peers, place too much importance on appearance and the superficial aspect of trends and fashion, which is unfortunately true, meanwhile the industry only intensifies or spurs on such situations. Moreover, not only are the cost of fashion items unrealistically high, the skyrocketing amount of waste and pollution produced as a result are not only affecting the people and the society but to the ocean and the wildlife as well.

In my opinion, I do believe that the fashion industry has a range of undoubtedly harmful effects to the majority and these outweigh the advantages the fashion industry offers. However, it also has a wide reach to millions that, if put into good use, can not only save lives and solve issues but also change the world we are living in for the better.

* The waste is what I think matters most in terms of the disadvantages of fashion. I read articles before and you would not believe the figures it showed. Search it up if you want, only the damage done to this planet by the fashion industry is not worth the glamour, let alone other drawbacks.