Let me in please!

Tommy didn't cry. 

He had seen multiple toddlers at the orphanage cry when they didn't get a cookie, or when their favorite toy in the playground already was taken. He'd always tried to hide his disgust when one of the little fat kiddos started screaming at the top of their lungs, while the tears floated down their cheeks like water in a fountain.

The worst thing was that when the toddlers cried, the adults believed they had a really good reason to. Like, how could a little kid lie about another kid punched them, or that someone stole their most precious little stone that they'd never seen until this moment, even less hold in their dirty little hands. Tommy had often been punished for making them upset, regardless if he'd actually done something to them or just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

 Crying in Tommy's world meant that you gave up, needed someone to appear like a fairy and fix your problem. 
Tommy would never give up. The thought was almost extraneous to him. Tommy could fend for himself and handle his own problems.

So he didn't cry. Not when the other kids at the orpahage teased him and called him names. Not when he got the blame for something he didn't do (he did a lot off pranks though, so the suspicions wasn't completley unfounded). It felt like something broke when his ex best friend flipped him off at the gate out to the street, on his way to his new family who would adopt him for good; but Tommy held a straight face and didn't even get tears in his eyes.

As soon as he'd discovered his ability to shift into a raccoon, he'd planned his escape from the orpanage and start a new life. It took almost a year to dig under the fence that surrounded the grey building, where adults and other kids always came and wanted to see what he did there under the bushes, but it had been worth every minute off his free time. 

Right before he left, Tommy had sneaked into one of the orphanages attendant's office (the one he disliked the most, to be exact) and stolen $60. Then, he'd ran off into the nerby city and bought a bus ticket, to get away as fast as possible. 
Under the two months Tommy had been free, he'd not cried one. When he made promises to himself, Tommy always made sure to keep them.

Fortunately, raccoons couldn't cry, because right now Tommy really felt like breaking that promise. 

The cold autumn rain poured down from the cloudy night sky. Dark trees surrounded him, only to be illuminated every now and then by a blinding flash of light, followed by a dull rumble. Even if Tommy had good night vision in his racconshape, he didn't enjoy the darkness at all. Or his complicated situation. 

The money that he'd stolen from the orpanage was gone long ago, which meant getting food had became much harder. Tommy had visited some villages to steal from, but he had eventually been caught and chased out from every single one of them.

 In the latest village, he'd at least gotten a handful of coppercoins before the villagers found him and threw him out. When Tommy returned a couple of days later, he had been careless. After he'd bought a warm meal for the money, Tommy had relaxed. When some drunk dudes had discovered that he'd stolen from them, Tommy had simply just ran a few gates before he shifted into a raccoon  - in front of a child. The little brat had told the whole village, who had chased after the shapeshifter at least for a mile, if not longer. They had thrown sharp things at him and shouted that they wanted nothing to do with demons.

And they had hurt him.

The wound on the right fron leg wasn't that deep, but it really hurt. Tommy got exhausted from limping along on three legs all day without food, and looking for a new village.

And that was before the wind and the thunderstorm came and made him cold and wet as if he'd jumped right into a lake. 

So now Tommy was cold, hungry, injured, wet, lost in the forest, had nowhere to go or someone looking for him, and completley exhausted.