Chapter 5 : Foundation

"Remember this, amateurs... Peasant trash like you, are no better than the ball I kick," team X's number ten declared, "We're not here to make friends; you're only here to make me shine."

The rest of his teammates rushed towards him, cheering and smiling.

"After all, on this pitch... I am the one true king."

Bastard, I thought as I watched his teammates chant his name. Barou's expression however remained unamused, boresome painted on his face.

"Hail king Barou!!"

"Nice one, Barou!"

...Do they have no sense of self-worth? Even after he blatantly called them peasants? I could only stare dumbfoundedly at the sight.

"Hey Iemon, you're the goalkeeper, so why don't you do your job?!"

The sound of Igarashi screaming caught my attention, Igarashi, Iemon and Kuon visibly arguing.

"We're only down one point! We'll be okay if we stay focused!" Kuon said, trying to calm the situation down.

"That's right, guys! If we stop playing selfishly, stick to our positions and actually pass, we can—"

Isagi was cut off by Raichi who rudely interrupted him. "Huh? And won't you be the one scoring goals if we do that, 'mister forward'?" he said in a mocking tone. My eye twitched in annoyance.

"Little shits like you should stick to defense! The best thing all of you can do is pass it to me like good boys!" He snarled, veins popping out.

"That's it," I snapped.

"That's enough from you—you ignorant, pin-brained bastard," I hissed, looking daggers at him. "I don't know if you've looked in the mirror lately, but unless you can actually score a goal, don't steal the ball and talk shit about any of us. It's fairly obvious that your incompetence is what earned them that point."

"What the fuck did you just say to me..?" Raichi fumed, gritting his teeth, visibly angry and insulted.

PIP

"That's enough you two."

The voice from the horn speaker broke off the–almost—fight, our heads turned to the direction of said speaker.

"Team Z, get back to the game."

I walked away without looking back and felt Raichi's hard stare on my back—still very pissed and offended. I walked back to my position and watched as the game resumed with Isagi kicking the ball to Bachira.

"Bachira! Let's just pass it between the two of us for now!!"

"O~kay!"

Just as I thought things would go smoothly, Igarashi jumped in and stole the ball from Bachira.

"Wha–? Igaguri?!" Isagi said, shocked. "Hey, you! Your spot...!!"

"Are you dumb, Isagi?! Whoever scores the most goals gets to survive! I will never pass, even if it kills me!" Igarashi shouted, rushing towards the opponents goal with the ball.

"Protect me, great Buddha!"

"You bastard! Get back here!!" Isagi yelled back.

It didn't take long for the opponent to steal the ball from Igarashi which made Raichi even more pissed. Narahuya almost went after Igaguri and Kuon was still trying to keep control of the formation.

I watched all of this unfold from my position.

And it hasn't been long since this match started.