𝑻𝑬𝑵

°•*FIGHT OR FLIGHT

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER DOES GO INTO SOME TRAUMA AND DISCUSSES DEATH

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
MARCH 13TH, 2019
9:13 P.M.

CASSIE COULDN'T MOVE. Her brown eyes, now speckled with red from her constant crying as she stared at the bland hospital painting in front of her. Her back was stiff and rigid, as her legs bounced in a rhythm while she sat in the uncomfortable hospital chair. The intoxicating scent of the sterilized air invaded her nose, as she could feel the blood pumping in her ears.

Glancing at her hands she was covered in blood. Chimney's blood.

Maddie was still MIA, and her abusive ex-husband was more than likely the perp, according to Buck.

How could everything go so wrong in one day. One day her friends were planning a romantic first date, the next they were fighting for their lives. It all seemed so surreal to Cassie. She was forced to sit in the waiting room as soon as the ambulance arrived at the hospital and numerous doctors and nurses rushed to stabilize Chimney.

Cassie could only hope that the man would wake up, because now the two were even. He'd saved her all those years ago and she returned the favor tonight. She just hoped it wasn't for nothing.

ˏˋ°•*

CRENSHAW, CALIFORNIA
DECEMBER, 18, 2008
10:59 P.M.

"HE'S REALLY DEAD?" Cassie asked herself in disbelief and horror as the blood splattered across the room, staining everything in its path. The blood pooled around the gun shot wound from his head and Bryon's lifeless corpse. Her gaze met his, and she waited for his glazed over eyes to meet hers. They never did. He was just still, on the floor bathing in his own blood.

The sight made Cassie sick, however she wasn't sure if that was because she just witnessed her boyfriend, sorry, ex-boyfriend end his life right in front of her, or because she was losing blood from the gun shot wound on her left side.

"I'm sorry, Cassandra." Officer Grant offered her sympathy. The girl was a pain in her ass, always hanging with the wrong crowd, and getting into trouble. She'd arrested her more times than she could count, but she would hope that she would change her life around and start making better life decisions before she ended up on the wrong path.

Hopefully tonight would be her wake up call.

"Hey you're gonna be just fine alright." The paramedic sent her an encouraging smile as he and his partner secured  the makeshift tourniquet she made with a pillowcase to stop the bleeding. "Eli and I are gonna take good care of you." He then began to work on getting her antecubital IVs ready to run fluids when she gripped his arm so tightly the tips of her fingers turned white. "You cannot let me die. No matter how many times I flatline or whatever, you do whatever you can to keep me alive and breathing." She cried as her eyelids felt heavy and couldn't move, as dramatic as that may sound. Her body felt heavy and all she wanted to do was close her eyes and sleep. "My little brother will have no one if I don't make it." She cried, a tear fell down her face and tickled her cheek.