EPISODE 17 RECAP

Discovering that Anokhi's name used to be Shaurya shakes Shaurya to his core. Now he understands that he was given Anokhi's place on the family register, which allowed Sabherwal Group to erase all traces of the girl who lived in the basement.

Shaurya clutches Ronny's stuffed bear to his chest and wails, helpless in the face of this terrible truth.

At the family restaurant, Anokhi also breaks down after finding the photo of her younger self with the woman she thought was Shaurya's mother. Pawan and their parents come rushing in and hold Anokhi while she cries, lost in the rush of memories. She's completely lost to the present, not reacting to her parents' words, so Pawan goes to get a sedative.

We flash back to twenty-one years ago, with little Anokhi (I'll continue to use their current names to keep things simple) playing on a swing. Her mother scolds her for taking chances, but she doesn't stay mad for long. A man arrives at the edge of the park; it's Shaurya's grandfather, then-chairman of Sabherwal.
He has come to America to convince Sridevi to take the reins of Sabherwal Group.

Tez has run away, presumably for good, and there is no one as capable as Sridevi to take over the company. Sridevi wants nothing to do with the company, but Grandpa plays on her weak point : her daughter's future. Sridevi is dead broke, and her daughter will always face scorn for being born out of wedlock. Grandpa offers her a future as the heir of Sabherwal Group, as long as Sridevi places her on Tez's family register.

Grandma Seeta welcomes Sridevi into the house under the impression that Anokhi is Tez's child. She cheers up noticeably after seeing Anokhi, though she wonders where Tez is, and why he's not here to see how well his daughter has grown.

Tez is in hiding with little Shaurya, living under an assumed identity. He tells Shaurya that hiding your name can help you live freely, which is what he wants to do in life. His idea of happiness is sailing around in a boat of his own, doing whatever takes his fancy and not getting scolded for it. Shaurya promises to buy his father that boat. When he does, they will name it the "Arjun Krishnamurthi."

Shaurya's mom badgers Tez to beg for forgiveness from his family, so that Shaurya can be placed on the family register. Tez says he cut all ties, but Mom leaves him with an ultimatum : If he wants to do right by his son, he will return to Sabherwal Group.

Accordingly, Tez takes Shaurya back to Chandigarh, promising that Mom will join them soon. This results in the homecoming scene we saw before, when Tez returns to find Sridevi already living in the main residence, with a child he knows can't be his own.

The chairman won't allow Tez's son to be added to the register, since Sridevi's child is already listed there. Out in the hallway, Grandma Seeta hears that Anokhi isn't actually her son's daughter.

Gah, the web is getting so tangled!

The children introduce themselves as Shaurya and Karanvir, and they seem to take to each other immediately. They jump on a trampoline in the yard, laughing as if they don't have a care in the world.

In the present, Grandma Seeta learns that someone has leaked the news of Tez's coma, which weakens her position considerably in the eyes of the world. Grandma asks Shaurya's mother if she was responsible for this, which she firmly denies.

But no sooner does Grandma leave to do damage control than Mom calls Yash's father to commend him for putting her information to good use. She reminds him of his promise to place Shaurya in control of some of Sabherwal's subsidiaries.

Yash overhears the phone conversation between his father and Shaurya's mother. He's curious about what deal is so important that it requires giving away important subsidiaries of Sabherwal Group, and to Shaurya's mother at that. Dad says he doesn't need to know, and should simply benefit from the results.