xxxvii. the bargaining

"Kongpob was here earlier."

Arthit looked up from his food to his mother. She looked nonplussed so Arthit knew it was nothing serious nor dramatic but he still asked, "What did he say? Did he ask for me?"

When he felt his parents eyes on him, Arthit back tracked. He didn't want them to think that he's hoping Kongpob would look for him, it's the opposite actually. Arthit's still mad at the younger, he didn't even know if he could still find it in his heart to forgive and forget his madness. 

"Not that I want him to... But lately, he's been begging me to talk to him to hear him out, I just don't want him to involve you in our issues, did he bother you as well?"

"He just apologized to us and left. He didn't force us to listen to him or anything," Mrs. Rojnapat smiled a little. "He was polite. If anything, it was your father who hurt him," She frowned at him.

"What? I was protecting our son, he hurt him, I have the right to tell him that and what I said was only a part of what he did to our son."

"Why? What did you say, Por?"

"That it's a shame he's your first relationship."

Arthit nodded. A small part of him disagreed. A small part of him still believed that if he were to go back in time, he would still want to meet Kongpob again and be stupid for him again. A small part of him would still want to be fooled just to have those small moments with Kong. But that was the part of him he wanted to bury. 

That martyr stupid part of him still hoping for a fairytale ending with Kong. 

Almost all of him, the part still angry and despite Kongpob with all his being agreed. "It's true," Arthit shook his head at his Mae. "He deserved it, Mae. Por didn't hurt him. If anything, Por did the right thing."

"See?"

Mrs. Rojnapat shrugged. "I pity the kid."

"Don't, Mae. He never pitied me when he was playing with my feelings."

/

Arthit sighed at his ramen. He's so distracted today he instinctively ordered Kongpob's favorite ramen. Now, he's both hating it and forcing himself to stop smiling while he reminisced their moments together. 

Last night, Kongpob called him. In a moment of weakness and dumbness, he answered his call and acquiesced in his request to meet up with him so they could return the things they gave each other, as what exes do. To move on, Kongpob said. 

Arthit didn't know what came into him but he assumed that it's because he wanted to move on as well. He's ready to move on from Kongpob... he thought. And Kongpob promised him he wouldn't force an explanation to his face. 

His martyr part though was adamant to say that it was because he missed the younger and he wanted to have their relationship reconciled. 

But all of it weren't true.

Sure, Arthit felt a pang when he didn't see Kongpob bothering him last night but he felt relieved as well. And that odd feeling meant nothing to him. 

His faraway expression must have been very obvious because Bright asked, "Are you okay?" as soon as Arthit joined them. He shook his head then.

But now, feeling his friends looking at him from time-to-time, Arthit knew he had to be truthful to them.

"I'm meeting Kongpob tonight... In his mansion."

That garnered several reactions, mostly anger and confusion. 

"Do you want us to go with you? Just in case he forced you to do something," Knot quickly offered. "Just tell us, Oon. We're here for you."

"Isn't it too early to do that? It's only been weeks." Tutah.