chapter twenty-six

Aurora

"I'm so glad you're alright! I couldn't believe it when your Aunt called me!"

Gabby and Dean have come to see me today. They have been on holiday to Italy while I've been in hospital and Aunt Nic kept them updated while I've been out of it.

"I told Dean we could have come home sooner-"

"No, you didn't have to do that."

"I'm just so happy to see you again."

Gabby squeezes me tightly to her chest as I smile into her.

"We brought you these." Dean holds up some sweet treats in a bag in one hand and some flowers in the other.

"Thank you."

"Room for a little one?"

"Hi Iris." Waving at her to come over to the bed.

"How are you feeling?" She rubs my forehead and sits holding my hand.

"I'm not bad. Everywhere is sore but I'm okay."

"That's good sweetie."

I go on to tell my visitors more about what the doctor told me yesterday when I woke up.

As I glance around the room and my friends and family, I notice one person who promised me he would be here this morning, isn't here. Disappointment washes over me.

The nurses bring my lunch in around midday and everyone apart from Aunt Nic leaves.

"Do you know why Logan didn't visit today?"

"No."

"Oh."

"Don't look like that darling, I'm sure he will come see you later."

"No it's fine. We aren't together and he probably has moved on."

Aunt Nic start cackling beside me. I scrunch up my face in confusion before she speaks.

"Oh sweetie, that man is in love with you, there is no one else for him he told me."

"He did?"

"Yes dear. He was here for you everyday, he transferred you to a closer hospital, he has been beside himself with worry. I think once your out of here you two should talk."

"When did the doctor say I could leave?"

"In the next few days I believe. You have some more checks in the morning and then we can see what he says."

Waking from my afternoon nap I feel someone holding onto my hand.

"Hey baby." I look to my left and see Logan leant over on his elbows, one hand covering mine.

"Hi."

"Your Aunt has gone home. I thought I would keep you company all night, if that's okay with you?"

"Sure."

"Sorry I didn't come this morning, I was busy with a couple of things."

"Oh no, it's fine."

"No, Aurora I wanted to be here I just-"

"Logan, it's honestly fine. My friends were here so don't worry about it."

He nods.

"I spoke with your doctor earlier, he said you have more checks in the morning?"

"Yeah. I maybe can go home in a few days."