Chapter one

Dragonstone from above was a stunning view

Dragonstone from above was a stunning view. Breathtaking, especially on dragon and Lady Vanya loved the feeling of cool air brushing through her dark locks. She sat behind Princess Rhaenyra, chin resting atop the blonde beauty's shoulder as she watched her maneuver Syrax. The two girls had found great companionship in each other, and while Vanya was close with her sister, Alicnet, it was nothing compared to the bond she shared with the dragon princess.   While Alicent preferred the safety of the floor beneath her feet, Vanya took any chance she got to ride Syrax with Rhaenyra. She was never one to shy away from the thrill of it all, much to the disappointment of her father. He claimed it not to be lady-like while Vanya could not find it in herself to care at all.   

"Doing well back there, Vanya?" Rhaenyra teased the older girl, slightly heaving as she looked over her shoulder. 

"Perfectly fine and you know it." The dark-haired woman spoke, smiling as Rhaenyra huffed out a small laugh. The two girls focused back on flying, trying to get back as soon as possible. Not that they were eager to. 

Syrax was a stunning she-dragon. A beautiful golden dragon that was growing bigger and bigger each day. Soon, she'll be as big as caraxes and will be able to mount two comfortably. Landing Syrax, Rhaenyra unmounted him and jutted her hand forward to Vanya, who took it gladly before petting Syrax on her neck in a loving way. The girls shared a look before Rhaenyra tugged her lady friend down, nearly causing Vanya to tumble. The older girl shot a glare at the blonde before linking their arms together.  

"How upset do you think my father would be if I went back smelling like dragon?" Vanya pondered and turned to look at Rhaenyra who was smiling. The question was meant to be rhetorical yet the young princess had words on the tip of her tongue.

"He'd have my head if I were a common folk. You smelling like dragon isn't Lady-like." Rhaenyra mocked Otto, furrowing her eyebrows and pursing her lips, as her father does often. 

"Vanya! Rhaenyra!" Alicent's voice rang out from a distance and she waved at the two. Her dark hair let down in loose waves. Vanya waved back at her older sister before skipping over to her. Rhaenyra watched the two interact from where she stood, a content look covering her features. 

"Sister, sister. You never ride Syrax with Nyra! You should go! It is so delightful to feel the wind rushing through your hair or when you see Dragonstone  and King's landing from above!" Vanya's voice went a pitch higher, an indication that she enjoyed what she was talking about. Alicent smiled at her younger sister before taking her hand in her own, clasping their fingers together. Rhaenyra joined them not soon after.

"Syrax is growing quickly. She'll soon be as large as Caraxes. That's almost large enough to saddle two." Rhaenyra's voice was light as she implied to Alicent that she wanted her to ride on Syrax. The older sister smiled at Rhaenyra before replying, "I believe I'm quite content as a spectator, thank you."

Vanya smiled at her best friend and sister, she knew of her sister's fear of heights and how she was content to stay on the ground and observe them ride Syrax.