Chapter three

Vanya's morning started off slow, she had decided to take a morning walk in the gardens

Vanya's morning started off slow, she had decided to take a morning walk in the gardens. Something that she hadn't done in a long while and a tradition that was kept only between her mother and her. Alicent's recents visitations yo the King has made Vanya quite cross with her. She knew her sister was under their father's thumb but she didn't know that it went to this extent.

Rhaenyra's morning had started with her being the cupbearer to her father's small council and hearing about Lord Corlys problems with his ships and pirates. Rhaenyra had offered a solution and show of power through the dragons only to be sent away. To which she did, Rhaenyra walked away to find the only person in the entire castle who offers her comfort, Vanya.

"Princess Rhaenyra, what a pleasure to see you out here." Vanya spoke with a teasing smile and tone as she stood back up from sniffing the roses. Vanya stretched her arms out to pull Rhaenyra into a hug, one that the dragon princess accepted graciously.

"Lady Vanya, you look well this morning. I assume that you had slept well?" Rhaenyra replied with her own fake air of formality. She and Vanya both knew that formality wasn't needed between the two. It was just something they liked to do for fun.

Vanya and Rhaenyra walked arm in arm through the gardens as Vanya's maid, Nefes, walked with a basket behind them, filled with colourful roses.

"Something is on your mind today, tell me what it is." Rhaenyra sighed at Vanya's ability to read her like a book.

"Today, in the small council, I offered a solution to Lord Corlys' problems with the pirates. He asked that we show power and I offered that dragon riders go out on dragon back, that's a show of power. Father brushed me off and sent me to pick a knight for the Kingsguard, but I had to come see you first." Rhaenyra spoke softly but Vanya could see the tears and anger along with sadness that was beginning to cloud the princess's eyes. Vanya had taken her hand in her own, interlacing their fingers together. This small moment showed Rhaenyra that she isn't all alone. That she has Vanya by her side. She always will, even death wouldn't be able to part them.

"Well then, we must go chose a knight for the Kingsguard." Vanya stood up, the black dress she wore moving fluidly behind her as she walked. Rhaenyra caught up to her best friend quickly and interlaced their arms together again before making their way to the balcony.

There waited her father, the hand of the king. Vanya simply looked at her father before offering him a slight nod and making her way to stand beside Rhaenyra, who had already stepped on the stool placed for her.

"Ser Desmond Caron. A skilled knight princess." As the man spoke, Vanya zoned out and she could tell that Rhaenyra wasn't much interested in him either. He looked boring. This went on until Rhaenyra asked if there was anyone who was trained in hand to hand combat.

"Ser Criston Cole. The attendant's son from the Lord of Blackhaven." Rhaenyra smiled at Ser Criston and then turned to look at Vanya who gave her a smile of her own.