Chapter Ten

The day of Rhaenyra's wedding proposal came quick and Vanya was anything but prepared

The day of Rhaenyra's wedding proposal came quick and Vanya was anything but prepared. She was panicking and sad. She wondered if Rhaenyra would forget her and fall for Ser Laenor. He was quite handsome, but no one could compare to Daemon in her eyes. Sighing deeply, Vanya tugged the covers off of herself and got up. Nearly falling and with a pounding headache. The last night decision to drink herself into oblivion was not a good one and now she was suffering the consequences of her actions.

"My lady!" Nefes shouted as she entered the room only to see Vanya falling. She rushed over and helped her stand still.

"Are you alright, my lady? Shall I call the maester?" Nefes asked, her voice still worried. Vanya simply looked at her before brushing her off.

"I'm quite alright, Nefes. I just drank a little more than I should have last night." Vanya spoke, her voice breathy and eyes closed.

"Could you shut the blinds." Vanya told Nefes to close them, the light was too bright and it hurt her eyes. When the room was decently dark, Vanya opened her eyes and sighed.

"A letter, from Prince Daemon, my lady, and your father." Nefes spoke while she set the breakfast down in front of Vanya. The older woman signalled for Nefes to pour her some wine. Nefes, worried, did not obey her and instead gave her lady a stern look. Vanya sighed, she didn't know what her father wanted but she was glad that he was being exiled. These past years had put such a strain on their relationship that was beyond any repair. However, she was curious about Daemon's letter. She knew that the Prince had gone back to the Vale to Lady Rhea Royce, his wife.

Vanya ate and got dressed in red, a true Targaryen colour. After all, with the time she's spent with Daemon and Rhaenyra, not calling her a Targaryen would be a disgrace.

"Bring me the letter from Daemon." Vanya ordered Nefes as she sat down in front of her vanity and started putting on her jewellery. Nefes obeyed and placed the small scroll into Vanya's open hand.

"My greatest love and shining star. I am writing to inform you about the unfortunate passing of my wife, Lady Rhea Royce. She had an accident and fell down her horse, cracking and bashing her skull in. Such a tragedy. However, as a prince, I must marry soon and have heirs for my succession."
        Yours, Daemon.

Vanya choked on the wine that she had been taking a sip of. Honestly she had expected Daemon to do many things to get rid of his wife but killing her personally never crossed her mind. But Vanya couldn't care any less, that was one person out of her way. Daemon was free to marry whom ever he pleased now. Vanya won't lie and say that she didn't chuckle at the letter because she did, she could practically taste the sarcasm Daemon had for his late wife.

Vanya walked over to her wardrobe and pulled out a coat. It was chilly outside and she wasn't willing to catch a cold. She made her way outside and to Rhaenyra. The princess looked up at her and smiled. Vanya had missed that smile.