Chapter fifteen

Vanya's sadness was no excuse for her to be weak

Vanya's sadness was no excuse for her to be weak. Even in her moments of weakness she knew that she had to be a strong player on the chessboard. Her sister, Alicent, while a kind and loving Queen, would do anything to keep her children safe from a false threat against them. The threat that was named Rhaenyra. In actuality, Rhaenyra didn't give a fuck about her younger siblings, she knew that she was heir and nothing would challenge that. Vanya hadn't spoken to her father at all, ever since her marriage to Daemon, the two became the strangers that they were destined to be one day.

"Are you alright, mother?" Rhaegar asked her as he noticed the distant look in her eyes. His mother was here physically but mentally, she was in a place that he knew nothing of. Vanya smiled at her son before replying.

"I am alright, my beloved moon. Just tired. Birthing two kids at once can do that to you." Vanya laughed as she replied however Rhaegar knew his mother better than anyone and saw through her laughter and tiredness, he frowned. Taking his mothers hand in his own, Rhaegar leaned in front of her.

"Mother, I beg you to tell me the truth. The sadness in your eyes hurts me deeper than you can imagine." Rhaegar told his mother, his deep blue eyes looking into her own. Vanya frowned and caressed her son's face gently before leaning down to kiss his forehead. Rhaegar knew that this action was the end of this conversation. He doesn't know what happened but he's worried about his mother and his father and his other mum aren't here and the only person who is present is his "uncle" Criston.

"Uncle!" Rhaegar's voice startled Criston causing him to lose the faux fight against Aegon.

"Prince Rhaegar." Criston nodded his head at his 'nephew' and dismissed Aegon. Rhaegar ran up to him and signalled at him to speak in private.

"What is wrong with mother?" Criston tensed up at his nephews question. Rhaegar was always such a sharp child, it reminded Criston of Vanya when she was younger. He smiled at him, before nodding.

"Your mother, is having some difficult times right now, Rhaegar. She will be okay with time but as of now, she just needs the support of her family and her children." Criston told Rhaegar as gently as he could and it worked. The younger boy nodded at his uncle before standing up. Criston smiled and ruffled his hair before giving him a slight push. Rhaegar laughed, brushing back his blonde hair before leaving to find Daeron and Alysanne. Rhaena, was obsessed with her younger two siblings, spending every waking moment with either them or her cousin, Aemond.

"There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you." Daeron exclaimed, slinging his arm over his elder brother's shoulder. Alysanne coming in behind him, looking as pretty as ever in her lilac dress and white hair pulled back into a matching style like Helaena's.

"Where are Jace and Luke?" Daeron questioned, sitting himself down on a chair as Alysanne poured her brothers along with herself cups of water.

"Sleeping." Rhaegar told them before setting down the cup of water and leaving to Jace and Luke's room only to find Baela and Rhaena in there already, trying to wake up the sleeping boy.