Chapter seven

"This is dreadful

"This is dreadful." Vanya spoke, cringing when she saw a man older than Viserys himself offer his hand to Rhaenyra. Criston, without looking at Vanya smiled to himself, she was awfully funny in the most tense of moments sometimes. Rhaenyra herself also let out a small smile, trying to hold back her laughter. Vanya smiled behind her wine glass, she was disgusted at this man who presented his own hand to Rhaenyra. He's seen Queen Alysanne, her great grandmother for gods sake!

"You must be enjoying this." Criston spoke, a small smile covering his lips, he bumped his shoulder in Vanya's.

"Of course I am. To look at these fools and ask for Rhaenyra's hand. No one is good enough for Rhaenyra." Vanya spoke freely. And she was right, no one was good enough for Rhaenyra, except her and Daemon of course. Vanya sipped on her wine and fiddled with her ring, enjoying this "tour" that Viserys had arranged for Rhaenyra.

"This is ridiculous." Rhaenyra leaned slightly towards Vanya and spoke, she hated sitting through this mess. Vanya smiled and patted Rhaenyra's shoulder.

The old man refilled his wine cup, pausing to speak. Rhaenyra didn't pay any mind to him, instead she fiddled with her rings and necklace. 

"And tell me, Lord Dondarrion, did you think my great grandmother was as beautiful as they say?" Rhaenyra questioned the man and he paused to look at her.

"This was a half a cen ago, Princess." He spoke slowly. Vanya snorted at his audacity.

"Yes, it was." Rhaenyra spoke, causing Vanya and the other men to laugh, effectively embarrassing Lord Dondarrion.

"This man is older than my father." Rhaenyra leaned over and spoke to Vanya.

"Yes, I know princess." Vanya spoke playfully, making Rhaenyra glare at her.

The next contender who comes forward makes Vanya double down in laughter, beside her Ser Criston is trying not to let a laugh lose. Rhaenyra smiles, trying to hold back her own laughter. She knows that if she even so glances towards Vanya, she'll break down and embarrass the poor kid.

"Don't laugh, Lady Vanya." Criston spoke to her, a amused smile covering his features and his eyes glinting mischievously. Vanya almost lost her resolve when she looked at the kid, instead, she hit her lip, looked away and took a sip from her wine. To distract herself, Vanya thought of Daemon. She didn't know when he would be back but when that time came, she would gladly greet him. She had missed him. The ring on her finger and bracelet on her hand was a token of a promise that she did not yet know of. Vanya smiled at the thought of Daemon, she truly missed him. Rhaenyra looked over to Vanya, only to see her twisting the ring and smiling, Rhaenyra herself let a knowing smile cover her features.