Non living non breathing

I was a non living, non breathing being for the rest of the day, or week. I had no idea how much time had gone by.

I was locked inside my quarters letting nobody come in. I just couldn't handle the fact that Kenneth was back and he no longer loved me.

After he'd said that one word, I'd just sat there unsure of what to do. Then I fled the room. It was too embarrassing.

I had no idea if he stayed or went back to the states and I didn't care. I was just ready to forget about him. But I couldn't.

"That's enough Aaliyah." A voice said through my door. It was my father. "I let you mope for two days. Open up. You're no longer a teenage girl. You're a princess now. You have duties."

Duties? I sighed and got up to open the heavy door.

His face softened when he saw me. My father pulled me into a hug and it was all I could do to hold it in.

"I love you Aaliyah." he said into my hair. "Don't go dormant on us because one guy no longer sees how special you are."

"Is he gone?" I asked thickly.

"No." He paused. "We're leaving tomorrow."

I froze and pulled back. "We?" I squeaked.

He nodded slowly. "I'm no longer needed here."

Tears welled in my eyes again. "What would you do in the states?" I asked.

My father took my hand and pulled me into the room. "I still have a job you know." We sat on the bed.

"Are there other princesses you need to protect?" I sneered.

"Yes." he replied. "That's exactly what I have to do." He touched my hand. "I'll never forget you though and I'll come see whenever I can."

I stood up looking at him in disgust. "That's not enough! How dare you make yourself an important part of my life and then just think you can just leave! You're my father! I need you!"

He stood too. "You don't need my anymore. You have your mother. And Alex says he'll stay also. You'll be fine."

I hugged him again when he started crying. "This is hard on me too you know." He informed me.

"Just don't replace me." I joked halfheartedly squeezing him tighter.

"As long as you promise not to replace me." He responded.

:

That day I organized a small farewell party for my father and Kenneth.

Knowing my mother and her royal royalness, she had to turn it into a ball.

It was very last minute and a small few were invited. Friends of dad from the agency, some of my aunts and uncles and a handful of Lords and Ladies from around the island.

I was primped and fitted again but Aunt Llydia had disappeared. The only people that were still around from Hans were Wayne and a few servants.

I'd allowed Wayne to stay because he wasn't particularly rude to me or my mother.

"All finished." Gia announced. Gia was a young girl I found in the village. She was sixteen and I'd seen her outside one day doing her sisters hair.

She'd been very grateful to get the job so she could help pay for her sisters school education.

"You look wonderful." She trilled smiling broadly. Her bright blonde hair and excited expression made her look like an angel.

I stared at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a tan two piece with a long shawl over it. I adjusted my high waited skirt before turning and thanking Gia.

She frowned. "Are you sure it's alright?" she asked timidly. "Your mother would want you in a ball gown."

I smiled to ease her fear. "It's alright. I'll tell her it was me. Ball gowns aren't my thing."

She shrugged. "Okay. But you'll have to wear one eventually. Especially for your wedding."

I sighed and sat down. "I'm not sure there will be a wedding any time soon. Who could possibly be my king? I hardly just got here."

Gia sat next to me on the velvet couch. "What about your best friend? Alex?" she questioned.

I snorted. "He only wishes. But I have no love interest in him."

I saw her eyes widen but I said nothing, I didn't want to embarrass her.

"Ezekiel?"

I didn't answer right away. I wasn't sure about Ezekiel anymore. I didn't want to disappoint anybody but in my heart I knew I had feelings for him.

"I don't know." I finally responded.

She squealed. "You so like him. He's really cute."

"Yeah." I agreed.

"We should get going. Guests will be arriving soon." I said standing up.

Gia followed suit. "Well have fun." She told me.

I rolled my eyes. "What are you doing?"

"Well right now. I'm talking to you bu-"

I gently pushed her back down, shushing her. Then without a word I began to do her makeup and hair, I found her a dress and forced her to slip it on.

"Gorgeous." I breathed when I finished.

She smiled. "Thanks. Are you sure I can go?"

I placed my hands on my hips. "Would I have spent an half an hour on you if you couldn't?" I reasoned.

She shrugged and we giggled with excitement as we linked arms and proceeded to the ballroom.

It was very large and round with tall windows and mirrors all around it.

Sparkling chandeliers hung from the ceiling giving the room a dazzling look.

There were guests milling around socializing and dancing. It was still early afternoon because the guests of honor needed to rest earlier to catch their ship in the morning.

"Aaliyah!" I caught sight of Alex who was enthusiastically waving me over.

I pulled Gia with me, who had suddenly turned pink.

Alex hugged me then introduced himself to Gia who was now mute.

"I can't believe you're staying Alex!" I exclaimed.

He shrugged. "I thought a change of scenery would be nice."

"What about your parents?"

"I told them I'm studying abroad. Your mother found me some good tutors here in the palace. I'm gonna study to be a Lord." He said puffing out his chest.

I rolled my eyes. "Well I'm proud of you. And thanks for staying."

He pulled me into his arms and kissed my cheek. "I could never leave you." He promised. "Unless of course we're being kidnapped and people are dying." He finished.

I frowned. "Thanks for bringing it up." I said sarcastically.

He shrugged. "No problem."

He stepped away from me suddenly and looked me up and down. "Where's your dress?"

I looked down. "Isn't this formal enough?"

Alex raised his eyebrows. "Trust me. You look beautiful but everyone here is wearing ball gowns."

I shrugged. "Oh well."

He sighed. "Fine. But you'll see. I've been studying."

"Okay." I said giving him the satisfaction.