S1 Chapter 4: Final Selection

Recap.

Tanjiro and Sabito were having their last duel with Makomo and Y/n watching. Sabito and Tanjiro went for the slash and Tanjiro split Sabito's mask showing a sad smile behind it. Sabito and Makomo disappeared and in his place was the the boulder that Tanjiro was suppose to split, split in two.

End Recap.

Tanjiro and Y/n shook hands and Tanjiro looked down.

Tanjiro: There is a reason I won.

Y/n: Huh?

Tanjiro: Because I learned how to detect the Opening Thread. As soon as I pick up the scent, I'm able to see the thread. It guides me. It connects my blade to any opening the enemy leaves me, and it tightens as soon as I see it. It quickly draws my blade forward, than I strike.

Y/n: Well, how you did it doesn't matter, what matters now is that you sliced the boulder so now we can take Final Selection.

Sakonji walked over to them and inspected the boulder.

Tanjiro: Urokodaki...

Y/n: You better have a good excuse for leaving Tanjiro the way you did, old man.

Tanjiro: Y/n.

Sakonji: To be honest, I never had any intention of sending either of you to the Final Selection. Because I didn't want to see anymore children die. I was sure you wouldn't be able to cut through this boulder, Tanjiro. Which ment Y/n wouldn't have gone either, but...

He patted both their heads.

Sakonji: Well done, Tanjiro and Y/n. Truly remarkable. I'm very proud of both of you.

Tanjiro began to cry and Sakonji embraced him and Y/n.

Sakonji: Make sure you both come back from Final Selection alive. Nezuko and I will be waiting for you.

Y/n: You have our word, old man Urokodaki.

Meanwhile at Sakonji's house.

Sakonji cooked fish and hot pot for them.

Tanjiro: There's so much food. What's the deal?

Sakonji: You have both finished your training, so we're celebrating. Time to eat. Don't be shy.

He gave Tanjiro and Y/n a bowl of hot pot.

Tanjiro/Y/n: Thank you for the food.

Tanjiro and Y/n ate as Sakonji watched.

Sakonji: (Thinking: Tanjiro, Y/n, I'm afraid there's nothing more I can do for you. After today, you will both be facing unimaginable hardships. Your training pales in comparison. But at least for tonight, you both can rest well, and sleep soundly one last time.)

After dinner Tanjiro began to cut his hair.

Y/n: Hey, after you do your hair, Tanjiro, is there a chance you could cut mine?

Tanjiro: Sure.

Sakonji: Hey, Tanjiro, Y/n.

Y/n/Tanjiro: Yes?

Sakonji: What did you both think of the hot pot?

Tanjiro: Great! I haven't feasted like that in awhile.

Y/n: In the words of one of my former masters, it was tasty!

Sakonji: Two growing boys with appetites like yours will get bigger and stronger, the bigger their meals are. The same applies to demons. Remember that. The more humans a demon has eaten, the powerful he'll be.