S1 Chapter 21: Against Corps Rules

Rui was reminiscing on his human life where he saw children playing in the snow. He tried to join them, but he fell in the snow face first. He rolled onto his back and looked to the sky until someone called his name.

???: Rui! Rui!

The voice came from a woman that ran over to him.

Woman: Rui! What are you doing? You know you're not supposed to be outside!

Rui was now laying in a futon in his home.

Rui: (Thinking: Since the day I was born, I've always been very frail. I couldn't run. Even just walking was a struggle for me.)

He looked outside and saw Muzan was outside on his porch.

Rui: (Thinking: That is until Master Muzan appeared.)

Muzan: You poor thing. I'll save you from this harsh life.

Rui: (Thinking: My parents weren't happy about it. Since I acquired a strong body, I could never expose myself to sunlight, and of course I had to devour humans.)

Rui's human father walked in on Rui eating a man.

Rui's father: What have you done? What on Earth have you done, Rui?! Answer me!

When Rui was asleep in his bed, his father rose up a knife with tears in his eyes.

Rui: (Thinking: When my parents tried to kill me. All my mother did was cry, never lifting a finger to protect me.)

Rui opened his eyes and he killed both his parents. Then sat on his porch and looked at the moon.

Rui: (Thinking: They must've been imposters. Our bond wasn't a genuine one at all.)

Rui's mother who was laying almost dead on the floor, tried to say something, but Rui couldn't make it out.

Rui: (Thinking: She's saying something. I thought she was dead.)

Rui's mother: I'm sorry that I couldn't give you a strong, healthy body.

Rui's eyes went wide.

Rui: (Thinking: Those were the last words my mother ever spoke to me. She was dead.)

He remembered what his father said before he tried to stab Rui.

Rui's father: Rui, listen! We're going to die with you!

Rui: (Thinking: I was so enraged he had tried to kill me, the meaning of his words escaped me. But I came to realize soon after he attended to atone on my behalf for the sin of having killed someone in the form of taking his own life. It was a genuine bond. And that night I had severed it with my own two hands.

Muzan appeared right in front of him.

Rui: (Thinking: After all that however, Master Muzan gave me words of encouragement.)

Muzan: It was all your parents' fault for refusing to accept you for who you are. Take pride in your own power.

Rui: (Thinking: I had no choice, but to see it that way. I couldn't bear the weight of what I've done. I knew I only had myself to blame.)

Back to present.

Rui's one eye head hit the ground as his disintegrating body walked to Tanjiro and Nezuko.