Wedding Day

"how does this look!" Hinata twirled in her dress. It wasn't her wedding one, we were going out for lunch. It was really her idea, since I didn't want to go at all.

I didn't even want to get married. I was thinking about Sasuke the whole time. "You look.. fine," my eyes evaded her to the outside view. It was beautiful. We were at a cafe, and the ocean was not too far ahead.

"Eh, fine? That doesn't sound very promising..." Hinata laughed nervously. She followed me to a seat in the cafe, which was next to a window that I was looking out of.

"Hello, what can I get for you two today?" A woman interrupted my thoughts.

"Ah, could I get a lemonade? And.. could I have a fruit salad?" Hinata smiled, and then looked at me.

"I don't want anything.." I mumbled, turning my head to the view again. So pretty.

The waitress eventually left with her pad of paper. There was a long silence between us. Hinata looked out to the beautiful view.

"Why are we getting married?" She mumbled.

Validation. That's what we wanted. From our parents and family, it's all we ever wanted.

"...I don't know," I muttered.

I turned to her. "Kiba Inuzuka." Those two words caught her attention, her eyes widened.

"He's always at the bar looking for you. When he sees me, he asks if you came along with me, every single time. I think .. I know why." My eyes traced the design on the table, following the thin carved lines.

"...how long have you been cheating on me?" My eyes glanced up to look Hinata in the eye. Her eyes were wider than before.

"C-cheating?" Hinata said in that pouting low toned voice of hers. I used to think it was soothing. Now it's just annoying.

"Don't play dumb. You've been cheating on me. How long were you cheating?" I said in a calm tone.

She looked down at the table, fidgeting with her hands. She looked nervous.

"It's been 2 years." Hinata finally answered.

"2.. years?" I thought back. That was when she got the new job offer, and that's when I usually wouldn't see her late at night or in the mornings.

It made sense now that I thought about it. "Do you.. want to hear something interesting?" I took a sip of water next to me.

That managed to catch her attention. "Not long ago... I got the job that I was wanting for a very long time." My fingers traced the glass.

"And my supervisor... Was a complete dick to me. We fought all the time... I hated him a lot." I chuckled, thinking back.

"...but something weird happened between us. I'm not sure what exactly, but he started acting strange. And... I made a mistake." I admitted, continuing to trace the cup as my smile faded.

"I denied it for a long time. But that mistake... Didn't feel like one. I knew you were doing something behind my back, I just couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was." I stopped my finger from moving anymore, and looked up from the cup.

"Hinata." I lowered my eyes at her. "We don't love each other. We both love somebody else more, right?"

Hinata's eyes lowered. "...yes."

I took another sip of my water. "It's pathetic, isn't it."

...

And then it came. The wedding. Everybody at my workplace was told to come and cheer me on. Sasuke was there, surprisingly. His face was paler than usual, and he looked really sad.

I knew then and there why I was so unhappy. Hinata didn't look the least bit excited either.

Looking at Sasuke saddened face, as he didn't even clap when I was told to kiss the bride, he just looked in contempt. Rightfully so.

I didn't even think he'd show up. Much less be here we a supporter.

It hit me hard.

I knew that I'd married the wrong person, regardless of wanting validation.

I wanted the one I couldn't have. Sasuke Uchiha.