Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE
THE RULES OF LORENZO
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

CHAPTER FIVE THE RULES OF LORENZONEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

"You know, something just as innocent as you,"

I threw the tennis ball into the air, hitting it furiously over the net. A loud groan escapes me, only adding more sound to the tranquil environment around me.
It's late at night and the moon is shining down on my face. My hair is sweaty and forming a mess but I don't care. All I'm focused on is getting the balls over the net.

"Is beautiful to ruin,"

Lorenzo's statement made me so upset, I had to relieve my anger. And the only way I could have done that was by heading to the tennis courts. Tryouts are tomorrow and my mind was racing. Placing my hands on my knees, I cringe at the sweat dripping down

"Glad to see you here," I turn around spotting Coach Mckinnon walking inside with Chen by her side.

"Coach," I said, running towards them. I smiled at Chen and she reciprocated it. "I apologize for not coming to see you sooner but this year has had a very hectic start. I wanted to give you this but when I heard from security you were outside, I decided to stop by,"

She handed me a bag and when I opened it, I pulled out a jacket that said Colombia Tennis. "I want to show you what you could receive if you work hard enough to make the team. You're very talented Miss Kikuchi. Don't let these girls intimidate you,"

"Thank you," I said, instantly putting it on. When I noticed it was a perfect fit, I release a breath.

"If you make the team, you'll get all the tennis attire with your official name on it. Now, I don't want to take any more of your time but I can only advise you to work hard tomorrow,"

"Yes, Ma'am," I whispered, my cheeks painted crimson. She nodded at me before walking out of view.

"What's got you training at this hour?" Chen asked, placing her tennis bag down. "The same reason you're here. To get ready for tryouts tomorrow,"

She narrowed her eyes playfully, almost like she didn't believe what I was saying. "Alright fine," I said, my eyebrows furrowing together.

"You uh... know Lorenzo Maxwell? What's his problem?" I found myself asking, bouncing the ball on the floor.

"Problem? Is that why you're here? Because he was rude to you? He's rude to girls that aren't his type," Frowning at her comment, we make our way to the opposite sides of the court.

"The girls here don't care, they all still love him. Don't even get me started for when he travels on boxing competitions, I just know he sleeps with plenty of girls then too," She grabbed a tennis ball and threw it into the air, and it speeds towards me.

"Is it true he's never been in a relationship? I mean guys like that tend to be noncommittal," I asked, hitting it back to her.