Chapter 10: Mutual Pining

"The path from you extending,
I could not see its course -
Or the closer to you I was getting,
The further from you I'd walked

For I was moving in a circle,
Not a line as I had thought -
The steps I took away from you
Were taking me towards."

-- Lang Leav

~ ~ ~

B&B Couture, 5th Avenue  - Afternoon

"So, no bachelorette party?" Ava asks, disappointment laced in her tone.

Not long after Sebastian had left Ava at the park, Maggie had called her, begging Ava to accompany her shopping for an upcoming premiere for her recent film. So here they are 3 hours later, in 5th Avenue, in their 10th, or was it 11th, store - Ava had lost count. She's just glad she's wearing her comfortable sneakers out today.

"Nope, Ashton and I decided way back that we want to do an engagement party instead. I mean, we have a lot of mutual friends, so it'll be nice to just hang out with everyone together," Maggie replies as she gives Ava a twirl of her dress.

Ava shakes her head, "It's going to be windy out, you're gonna give Marilyn Monroe a run for her money with that on."

"Urgh, this is why I have you. You're my other brain," Maggie groans as she returns to the fitting room to try on another dress.

"So what do you think?" Maggie asks from behind the curtain.

"Engagement party makes sense... but now, I feel useless as a Maid of Honor. I can't even plan for your bachelorette party," Ava reclines into the armchair she's currently sitting in.

"Shut up. You're not useless... you're needed on the actual day when I'm freaking out. Besides, I do actually have a job for you for the engagement party."

"What is it?"

Maggie's head pops out from behind the curtain.

"Well... I was wondering if you could perform a song for me. I want to dedicate it to Ashton, I have a few ideas... But you know I can't hold a note to save my life..."

That catches Ava's attention. Ava bounces up in her seat.

"Are you kidding me?! Yes!" She squeals in excitement. "Wait, it's not like tomorrow, is it? You always love dropping the bomb on me like this..."

"Noo... It's not tomorrow! The party's gonna be like a month before the wedding. Is that okay?"

"Okay, okay, that's good," Ava replies, relieved that for once, Maggie has not fallen back into her last minute tendencies. "You're helping me write it though, right?"

"Duh!" Maggie rolls her eyes, popping her head back in before pulling the curtain open revealing her dress.

"Last one, what do you think?"