SEVENTEEN

SEVENTEEN

DYLAN'S MIND WAS RUNNING RAMPANT. The girl was trying to clear her mind of the aching thoughts that crept from the deepest part she kept buried away. Seeing the gate to the upside down made everything too surreal for the girl, it was a reminder from what they faced last year. Dylan should've known not to hold onto the hope of that world being gone for good, nothing ever stayed peaceful in this god forsaken town.

Too lost in her own thoughts she didn't realize the group started to move back through the doors and to the place they just came from. Steve nudged the brunette, eyes full of concern now as he saw the state she was in. The Harrington boy knew how terrifying this all was, he to used to get nightmares that kept him from getting any decent sleep.

Dylan finally turned her attention towards the boy beside her. She swallowed the lump in her throat, putting on a small smile. Dylan hated the fear that still consumed her, she didn't understand why everyone else seemed to be doing okay with it all. She was still having a hard time adjusting, even months later.

Seeing the girls facade being put back up, Steve laced his hand through hers. Leading her back down towards the group, walking down the stairs right after them. Dylan's eyes glued onto their interlocked hands, her eyebrows furrowed at the boys caring gesture. Ultimately she decided not to question it and let what was happening be, especially as a weird feeling erupted from the pit of her stomach at the touch.

"I don't understand, you've seen this before?" Robin questioned, her nerves were evident in her voice.

"Not exactly." Steve replied, trying his best to explain.

"Then what exactly?" Robin instantly shot back, the girl wasn't able to wrap her head around the fact this was happening. Dylan gave Robin a sympathetic look knowing how confusing this all must seem.

"All you need to know is it's bad." Dustin said, leaving it at that. "It's really bad."

"It's really bad, like terrifyingly bad." Dylan gave her input in knowing it wasn't any help either.

"Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad." Dustin urgently spoke again, he seemed just as terrified as the rest.

Robin stopped walking and turned to the boy, "And you know about this how?"

They all stopped talking once Erica pointed something out, "Um, Steve? Where's your Russian friend?"

The group of five looked to the floor, an empty floor. As they did an alarm started blaring through the room they were in. Dylan saw the flashing light as the alarm sounded, knowing whatever was about to happening wasn't in the slightest bit good for them.

"Shit." Steve dropped Dylans hand and ran over to the doors overlooking the outside, where guards and people ran frantically. Steve dove into action as he saw the group of guards running towards him, he quickly shut the metal door. "Shit. Go, go, go."

Dylan and the rest quickly ran through a different set of doors, and then through another before coming to a stop as they were inside another room with what seemed to be scientists inside. The people in white coats turned around upon them entering, just staring at them. Dustin then lead the group through the room and down the stairs, inside the same place as the upside down gate rested.