CHAPTER 5: Warmth he Provides

---------

Jeongguk happily skipped to the beach. On his way, he noticed a beautiful flower, one that he recognized as Dianthus. 

He merely glanced at it and continued his way, but suddenly halted

He merely glanced at it and continued his way, but suddenly halted. His thoughts went to Taehyung, the merboy he's been meeting for months now. He imagined the merboy's reaction of seeing a new flower, he's been bring all sorts of flowers to him. And the blue haired boy's reaction is what makes Jeongguk smile smugly the whole day. 

He turned back to the Dianthus flowers he saw earlier, and stooped to pick it. He quickly rose and ran towards the beach. Hiding the flowers behind his back, he was excited to see the merboy again. 

He reached the beach and slowly approached the cave. Looking around to make sure no one saw him entering. Once he reached the end of the cave, the merboy was nowhere to be found. 

Jeongguk was confused. The merboy would always be the one to be here first, filling the cave with the echoes of his giggles and squeals. He looked behind the tree stump, behind some bushes and trees. Still no one.  He slightly pouted. Is he really not here?

He slumped down beside the tree stump and placed the flowers on his lap. He imagined what the merboy's reaction would be when he sees these, he bets he'd squeal and clap his hands cutely. Wait, cutely? Gguk shook his head and slapped his cheeks lightly. 

Just then, did he hear the giggles he's been looking forward to everyday. He looked up and saw a smiling Taehyung in the water. "You're here!" he called out excitedly. 

"Yes gguk, I'm here." the merboy replied with the same level of excitement, moving closer. The human child held out the flowers "Here!"

Taehyung looked at it curiously and gently took it. "It's beautiful.. what do you call this?"

"Those are Dianthus caryophyllus, it could also be called carnations."

"Carnations.. what does this flower symbolize?" he asked as he learned that these beautiful things have meanings, symbolizing meaningful emotions and all. "Well, they symbolize.. fascination.. devotion.. and.." he nervously stopped and looked everywhere instead of the merboy. 

"And-?" the merboy curiously asked. 

"And.. l-love." he replied slowly. Suddenly feeling hot and nervous. He slowly looked into the mesmerizing ocean eyes of the other boy. His heart beating wildly and deafening all sounds. 

"Love.. ?" the merboy mumbled, staring at the carnations. He knows what love is, he's read lots about it from human books and from watching his kind being immersed in it. He is fascinated with this word, and what it brings. He brings his gaze to the doe eyes of the other boy and feels as if he was caught in a trap that those humans use to trap his fish folk, but in this case, in a beautiful trap.

They stared at each other's eyes wordlessly until the human child broke the intense eye contact. He cleared his throat while rubbing his nape, looking elsewhere. While the merboy fiddled with the carnations with his head down, hiding his shy smile.

A few seconds of awkwardness passed and their eyes met again. Yet again, they bashfully looked away. Silence and awkward seems to always be with these two.  Taehyung slowly looked at the boy and an idea popped up. The idea made him excited he threw away the awkwardness and asked.

"Gguk, do you want to go somewhere with me?" Jeongguk looked at him confused. "Where? People will see you." he worriedly said, he knows that there aren't always good people in the world. He's afraid they might do something to this enchanting creature he'd learn to grow fond of.

Taehyung giggled. "Not up here silly, down under in my world."

"Huh? But I can't breathe underwater, Tae." Paying no mind to the weird feelings that erupted in his tummy from the nickname, he said "You don't have to worry about that gguk. Don't you trust me?" he asked again, placing the carnations behind his ears.

Ignoring the pretty sight of Taehyung with flowers up his hair, the human boy thought it through. He trusts the merboy with all his being and he couldn't even hurt a thing. His mum wouldn't know about it if he kept it a secret just as he had with Taehyung's existence. As long as he comes back before night falls.

Making up his mind, he looked up at the merboy, with determination visible in his eyes. "I do!"

Taehyung clapped his hands with a cute grin, while his tail splashed the water in excitement. "Alright! G-Grab my hand then." he held out his hand to the human child.

Jeongguk stared at it and slowly placed his hand on top of it, interlocking their fingers. The two boys blushed from the action, but made no action to remove it.

The merboy stared at their fingers tangled together while the human child was trying hard to calm his heart from its somersaults. Together, they went to the water until it was shoulders deep for Jeongguk.

He gulped nervously, he's never went this far in the water.  Yet, the small hand squeezing his own to give comfort and reassurance, overruled the feeling of fear and uncertainty. He gives a grateful smile towards the merboy and nodded.

Taehyung smiled and placed his free hand on the boy's cheek and connected their foreheads. A gentle and light glow emitting from him and spreading to the human boy. Jeongguk closed his eyes and leaned into the hand providing warmth on his cheek. It's warm..

---------