CHAPTER 11: The Agoge

---------

Jeongguk woke up this morning, not feeling as enthusiastic as always though. Why? Because of the reality he had forgotten. He recalled his and his mother's conversation dinner last night.

"Sweetie?" she stopped her son from talking about his day with Taehyung.

"Yes mum?"

"You do remember your turning seven in a few weeks, right?"

"Yes, I do. Why? Is father coming?" he asked, curiously excited.

"Oh dear, you know how it is. He won't be here for quite a while.." even though he was used to it, he still felt disappointed every time.

"...Moving on, the reason I asked is.." she dropped her head down.

"What is it, mum?" getting nervous himself seeing her mom hesitate. 'I wonder what it's about..'

"Well.. need I remind you about the.. Agoge..?" she glanced up.

Oh.. the Agoge. Just the word made him pale.

The Agoge was the public education system for Spartan boys. Similar in fashion to a military boarding school. Spartan boys were trained to be soldiers from their youth. They were raised by their mothers until the age of 7 and then they would enter the military school.

At the Agoge the boys were trained how to fight, but also learned how to read and write. The Agoge was a tough school.

The actual training of the Spartan youth was brutal, focusing on cultivating skill such as fighting, stealth, pain tolerance, as well as dancing, singing, and developing loyalty to the Spartan state. The main purpose of the Agoge was for Spartan boys to undergo intense physical trials in order to prepare their bodies for the harshness of war. As well as the transformation of boys into Spartan soldiers whose loyalty was to the state and their brothers-in-arms, not their families.

At age 20, Spartan males became full-time soldiers, and remained on active duty until age 60. However, the training lasts for thirteen or more years. And he could be sent to war right after he had graduated. The only times he's allowed back home are when he was wounded in battle, lost a limb/became blind, etc., he would return to his home to heal. Or the other, to marry a woman and start a family.

And he didn't want that. He would be apart from his mother for so long. And Taehyung..

"..Mum, do I have to go?" Mira's eyes slightly widened at his question. She was slightly expecting him to refute but she didn't think he was going to be honest right away.

"My, you certainly can't be thinking of not going. Participating in the Agoge is mandatory, Koo. It's the law."

"But mum.. I won't be with you.. I won't be with you and Tae..I won't see the both of you for a very long time. Maybe never again!" he bit his lips as his eyes glistened with sorrow, gripping the end of his shirt.

"Goodness, my lovely." she rushed to his side and crouched down to embrace him tight. She knows he's right. But.. what can she do? She can't oppose as it's the law. She's just like every mother. Forced to send her son to that military school. Mira just held her son close.

Just recalling it made him teary. But he's going to meet Tae today so he pushed down the negative feelings building up in his chest. He doesn't want to go. Not there, not so far far away.

---

The way to their cave wasn't as exciting as before. I mean, it still is. But the thought of eventually leaving Taehyung alone here overpowers his excitement. Not only is the older his only friend, but the person who makes his heart beat.