CHAPTER 21: Injured

---------

"---injuries. The decision has been made to send you injured lot, home." were the only words he heard.

Confused glances were exchanged between the lot, while he had thought that this was a dream. He swallowed harshly, before lifting his gaze upon his superior, to find General Lysander staring back at all of them.

"It is recommended that you focus on your recovery at home. In addition, it may be advantageous to pursue a matrimonial prospect during this time. It is pertinent to note that the Persian Empire has recently pledged their support in the form of subsidies. This development suggests that a positive outcome in the war ---"

Jeongguk dipped into a trance at this point. He was going home? He can? If that's the case, then...

"After two months you are to return -- Understood, soldiers?" his superior's stern voice snapped him out of his stupor. Having their doubts cleared, they all shouted "Yes, sir!" His superior then turned back to make his way into the tent. Having saluted respectfully, he left. Left to go to the place he had only dreamed of returning. Home.

Along with a few of his comrades from his street from the city, who had been injured, they ventured out. There were those who slumped and limped, but none of them stopped to rest. Their legs were crying for them to stop, to stop walking and rest. But none of them paid attention to the burning feeling in their bones.

It's impossible to beat the feeling of desperation, to be in the arms of their mothers they've missed, and engulfed in the warmth of their childhood homes. A larger shadow, shadowing over their bodies, was cast by the forest of green, as they walked through it. Just like they did, the forest from their childhood had grown.

They continued walking, and met with familiar stairs. They stopped at the bottom, staring up at their city's blasted stairs.

"..."

"..I hate our city." someone broke the silence.

"Pfft-"

Everyone snickered to the first man's comment, whose name is Hoseok. He was one of the oldest in the group. He was downright frustrated, they had walked for almost the whole way back home. He was poisoned not even a day ago! How was he supposed to even know that the mushroom was poisonous?! He was hungry!

"Who came up with this stupid idea?!"

"Yeah! The damn stairs has to be demolished!"

"We could of settled at the bottom of the hill?!"

"Alright, settle down. Ignore the stairs, we're just minutes below from home. We can't give up now, especially here. The ones who are in better condition, assist the ones who are severely injured." Jimin commanded, to which no one opposed to. While everyone turned to help one another, Jimin turned to Hoseok. Smiling bright "Now, Hoseok. Let's get you up there, shall we?" he clapped as he hopped over.

Annoyed at the beaming face, Hoseok heaved a sigh as he leaned on the other's arms for support.

With everyone helping one another, they all slowly but surely, made their way up the stairs. By the time everyone was at the last step up the stairs, they discarded their 'soldier' front and dropped to their knees.

"I will never get used to these stairs.." one of them grumbled.

The older ones just shook their head at their comments and proceeded to walk to the city's entrance.

"Come on, we're already here. If you're going to collapse, do it in your bed!" Jimin barked, dragging the exhausted Hoseok.

All of them slumped like the undead as they forced themselves to walk through the entrance, scaring the townspeople. Some of the soldiers snickered at the reactions of their family. Some freezing, some burst out crying and someone even fainted. Even so, tears flowed, smiles were shared, and hugs were given at the end.