Losing (Scrap n' Tap)

I'm not one for warnings but this one I feel like it does deserve one. This is a realistic depiction of a botched weight cut and the consequences of it. I feel like people need to remember that fighters are people too and struggle with their health. Also, if you want to understand the story, you'll have to read my story Scrap n' Tap. You'll get the full context of this one-shot.

Saturday, March 8th, 2025

Jay was headlining the Main Event. He is about to defend his title for the 4th time. The weight cut was nasty. Jay looked like a skeleton, not even Nya could recognize him. The towels were still all on the floor full of sweat. Jay even cut his hair to make weight, he was struggling to get up but he insisted on fighting.

Wu and Cole were thinking about pulling the plug on the fight. Jay almost fainted getting on the scale before the weigh-in. But Jay manages to put on an act that he is healthy. The fight goes down tonight. He is fighting Max McDowell, a fighter on the rise of the featherweight division. Both guys are weighing in at 145 pounds. Jay is one inch taller than him.

However, Jay didn't know that this would be the last time he ever defended his belt.

The fight began slowly but it picked up the pace halfway through in the first round. Jay opened up with a couple jabs and kicks to the leg. But Max picked up the pace by throwing Ax kicks and overhands. Jay tries to grapple with him, but the fight doesn't go to the ground. Jay is struggling this early in the fight, this isn't him. The second round starts, Jay gets taken down and Max is laying the ground and pound. Punches and elbows are raining down from the heavens above. Jay is just hoping for the round to end. The bell rings and Jay stumbles back to his corner. Jay looks pale and tired but Wu and Cole are too focused on telling him how to win the fight.

Jay goes back into the fight. Third round begins and Jay is already trying to empty his gas tank. He throws spinning kicks, flying knees, and spinning backfists. Jay is landing but he is tired. Max looks like the fresher fighter.

Jay POV

My vision is becoming blurry, but I can still see Max in front of me. I'm trying to land the lucky shot, but nothing's working. The combos land but he doesn't fall asleep.

Sleep.

Feels like I want to shut my eyes. But if I do, I lose. I can't stop.

Punch to the body, kick to the head. Still nothing. My eyes sting because of the sweat and blood trickling inside. I want to stop, but I can't. I'm standing there, Max throws an overhand right.

All of the sudden, time slows down. I feel very lightheaded, then the arena spins and the side of my head hits the canvas.

I don't know what happened but I got back up. As I see Max come towards me, I throw a right uppercut which makes him take a step back.

But then,