Upgrades

A/N - Yea wow it's Hess again, interrupting as always. Anyways, I've decided to give up on trying to keep chapter lengths a specific word count, the writer brain can't take it right now.

TW - mention of SA

They sat down at a booth in the back corner of the shop, Dean sitting on the outside of the bench, next to the kid to make him feel a bit safer. He watched him slowly add the sugar into his coffee, adding one to his own. Finally, after putting the lid back on the cup, he looked to Dean.

"I guess you want me to tell you who he was.."

"You never have to tell me anything you really don't want to, but I would appreciate it seeing as I just about gave him a concussion."

"Ok... Well, his name is Carson... I met him at the bus station when I first left town. He had gotten kicked out too when he was sixteen, like two and a half years before me, he was nineteen at the time. He said he thought about finding a place, but he wanted to see the world. I guess he knew the look or whatever, anyway he sat next to me, and we talked for a while. He was the first 'friend' I really made when I left. Anyways, he basically told me he would stick with me, try and keep me safe as long as we worked together. Well, about a month later, working together wasn't what he wanted anymore, but I thought I needed him. He said if I wanted his help I had to -"

"Ohhhhhkay."

"Yeah... eventually, I guess I got sick of it, and one day while he was off doing whatever it was he did, I left, got on the first bus out with what little money I had hidden from him. I guess when he couldn't find me he got mad and told everyone he knew in our little 'community' that I was actually a girl, and I wouldn't put up a fight. To tell him if they saw me, or bring me to him, that's why I don't stay in one place too long. He always said he 'owned me'.", he finished, crying at this point. Dean slowly reached his arm around the boy and pulled him into a hug.

"I promise you, you will never, ever have to worry about anything like that ever again. I will always be here to protect you, as long as you will let me." The boy leaned into Dean, finally safe. He found his home, at least he hoped. They slowly finished their coffee, Dean started to think about the fact he just gave a thirteen year-old his second cup of coffee that day. 'Well, I guess it could be worse, he likes it so whatever... I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it from Sam, but whatever'. When they finished, they made their way to the car.

"So, I'm not sure you still want to go to 'Target', but I do want to take you to that other place before we head home." Home, he thought.

"No, it's okay, we can go to both."

"Alright, 'Target' is only about ten minutes away, so we'll go there first."

When they got there, Dean told him to pick out some new bedding, and any toiletries he needed. The boy got dark green sheets, a soft brown comforter, and matching pillow cases. Dean suggested he pick out a throw blanket too, he landed on a 'Clone Wars' blanket. He knew it wouldn't go with anything else, but he still liked it. Dean threw a stuffed bear in the cart too, earning a confused look from the boy.

"What? It's cute, plus it's weighted. I woulda killed for that as a kid.", he said, pushing the cart toward the toiletry aisle. The boy picked out his soap, shampoo, toothbrush, and so on. Finally deciding he was done after throwing in a hairbrush. Dean pulled the cart over to the next aisle, tampons. The boy just stared back and shook his head. "I know, but I also know you need 'em, I was there once too." The boy just shook his head again. "Alright then, stay here.", he said walking back. He returned a few moments later with an assortment of pads and tampons. "Relax man, no one knows. It's okay. Just 'cuz you're a boy doesn't mean you don't bleed." He just looked away. "Anything else you need or want? Snacks? Drinks?", he asked. "Nougat bars?" The boy nodded. "Alright, what do you drink other than coffee?", Dean chuckled.