chapter twenty | home (NSFW)

I think neither Austin or I realized how much we had to do in the next two weeks before going on vacation. I wasn't expecting purchasing a home and he wasn't expecting a vacation. We viewed houses for days before I was starting to lose hope.

"Maybe we need to look in another area?" Austin suggests.

"I don't want you to be too far from your family Austin."

"Well look how far you are from yours, besides you are my family." He says before kissing my head gently.

I open up my laptop and start searching for homes in other cities in California. I found a gorgeous home draped in ivy leaves and olive trees surrounding it.

I turn the laptop to Austin so we can both scroll through the pictures.

"I think I'm in love." I say holding my hand over my mouth staring at this amazing piece of architecture.

Austin immediately pulls out his phone to call our realtor. After a couple of minutes of putting us on hold, he said he could show it to us in three hours.

Since this was already a two hour drive from the condo we decided to leave immediately. We passed Austin's hometown on the way, which meant we were actually closer to his family.

Once we finally arrived, we realized there was no neighbors, just us on the side of a mountain. What a dream.

"So as we enter you see tall, vaulted, exposed beamed ceilings, natural stone floors and windows that beautifully frame the mesmerizing view." Our realtor says while pointing out to the view of the mountains.

We make our way to the kitchen, probably the room I'm most picky about.

"Here we have the kitchen, custom cabinetry, granite countertops, stainless appliances, an induction cooktop, an oversized walk-in pantry, and convenient breakfast bar seating."

This kitchen is everything I've ever dreamed of.

"The master suite, with high ceilings, built-in window seating, and a built-out walk in closet. The adjoining master bath is styled with artisan tile, a makeup vanity, and a gorgeous view from the relaxing soaking tub."

Austin and I look at each other and almost immediately, we can tell this is our future home.

"This is it." Austin says to our realtor.

"I knew it would be. I will submit your offer by the end of the day today and I'll let you know as soon as we get a response."

We thanked him for his time before leaving. I sneaked a picture of every corner so that I could plan how we were going to decorate.

I spent the entire car drive looking at the pictures and imagining living my life in that house. I picture coming home with Austin from our honeymoon, I picture coming home with a baby, and even growing old together in this home.

Austin catches me smiling at my phone.
"I'll do whatever it takes to get you that house." He says.

I grab his hand that lays on my thigh and squeeze it tightly. "I don't know what I did to deserve you."

*

The next morning Austin and I both keep our cellphones close, anticipating that call. We both almost jump out of our seats when we hear his ringer go off.

Austin puts the phone on speaker before saying hello.

"I have good news and I have bad news. The bad news is that they denied your offer. The good news is that they did counter offer. It looks like the numbers are still in your price range."