Chapter 42 - Jalen Ubel.

A/N: Quick Authors note, I'd like to dedicate these chapters of Emerlyn's adolescent years to Sarah, who was a big support and helped me through rough times. I would tag her but she would like to stay in the shadows =)

                                                                                       - - - - - 

DECEMBER 05 1996 (Emerlyn is 15)

"Come on." Tom slightly pushed the tip of my shoulder. "This is your chance to have Mattheo ask you to the Yule Ball.."

"Are you gonna be here?" I slowly adjusted myself to the ice beneath me. 

"I'll be outside the skating rink...don't wanna be the third wheel.."

                                                                    - - - - - - - - - 

"Oh, Emerlyn!" Exclaimed Mattheo skating slyly next to me, I was still adjusting to the slippery cold ice. It felt as though the ice was bound to crack if I placed a slight bit of more pressure. 

"Mattheo, I didn't know you would be here?" I studied him, and like usual he was perfect. His hair was beautifully done framing his head, and his majestic features decorated his face flawlessly.

Every time, his eyes were on mine. I felt a warm feeling rise on my cheeks. 

"Me neither.." he let out a quiet chuckle, his fingertips slightly clapping against my shoulder. The gesture was light but the feeling was ever-lasting. "Would you perhaps like to skate with me?"

"Sure.." I would love to. "But...I don't really know how to.." He noticed the fact my hands were still tangled with the fence of the rink.

"You'll be fine." 

We skated around for a bit, my hopes skyrocketing. I knew that Mattheo would ask me to be his date for the Yule Ball. 

A dirty blonde-haired girl skated in his direction towards us. "Mattheo!" she let out a relieved chuckle, embracing him as he hugged her back, inviting her to his embrace.

The smile on my face slipped, and my eyes saddened as realization slowly intoxicated me. Mattheo was never flirting, he was just being kind. 

"I'll be back...alright?" He turned his gaze towards mine. "I want to spend some time with my date."

I faked the brightest smile I could, as their backs greeted my face. That smile didn't stay for long, I began backing, backing, backing away until I lost my balance and my back crashed onto the wall. 

My eyes threatened not to spill any tears. There were too many people, but I couldn't resist the overwhelming feeling of heartbreak. He was mine. Mine.Mine.Mine. 

But we never dated.

As the warm tears stuck onto my thick lashes, I spotted a brunette boy my age skating in front of me, as he offered a helping hand. "Are you alright?"

We shared a brief eye contact till I turned away, getting up myself. "Yea...I'm fine.." My voice was broken like glass. 

"No you're not..." he skated beside me. "I witnessed everything..." 

I began skating away, however, he was quicker. My legs were shaky, my eyes were blurry; his hands circled around my lower back as he surrounded himself toward me.