Thirty - eight | Cars, Clothes & Calories

Tonight is the night and Indra doesn't know it

Tonight is the night and Indra doesn't know it. Atlas and Norah have already closed all the roads leading to where we will be. Diego has sent to message and Dylan has the venue for the after party.

My hand tightens on the steering wheel as I cruise down the street when I hear my phone ring. Letting go of the gearstick, I answer the call and bring my phone to my ear. "Are we good?" I ask Atlas just as I turn onto the only open road. "You got it, everything is shut except for the entrance road." I smile, glancing at Indra as she stares at me with confusion.

"Perfect, I'll be there in a minute." Quickly cutting the call, I drop my phone on my lap and grab the gearstick. "Can you tell me where we're going?" She asks me and I just smile at her.

Turning onto the final street, my eyes land on the neon lights illuminating the night, casting an electric glow over the makeshift racetrack. Indra's eyes glow as she looks around. The air is thick with anticipation, mingling with the scent of burning rubber and exhaust fumes.

People walk around the streets, admiring the exteriors of the cars as well as the interiors. Music fills the atmosphere, making the street vibrate as we drive further in. I quickly find a parking spot by Diego's car. Pushing the gear into park, I jump out of the car and Indra follows behind.

My ears ring with the sound of motorcycles speeding past us with teens doing tricks that could break their skull if they fall of. Indra can't seem to keep her eyes on one thing and I can't blame her.

Surrounded by a vibrant array of custom-painted cars adorned with neon lights and intricate decals, each vehicle is a reflection of its owner's personality and style. From sleek, low-slung imports to rugged muscle cars with roaring engines, the diversity of designs is staggering. "Luke?" She calls and I look over at her. "Yeah?"

She slowly walks up to me, her eyes still wide. "What is this?" My smile grows. "This... is Overdrive." She shakes her head as she pulls her phone out. "There's no ways today is the twelf-" she stares at her phone in shock. "Oh, it is the twelfth."

Without thinking, I grab her hand and force her to follow me through the event. "Come on, you have to see everything." Among the crowd, I spot a heavily modified drift car, its body adorned with graffiti-style artwork, and its driver exuding an air of confidence. Diego Solis greets people around him before he spots me.

As I push through the crowd, making sure I never let go of Indra's hand, I reach Diego. "What's up, Solis?" I greet him with a smile on my face. "What's happening, dude?" He looks behind me to see Indra. "Hey, Indra." He calls and she just jerks her chin at him.

She then reaches into her purse, pulling out a silver flask before taking a big sip. "Want some?" She offers Diego and he denies before she offers me. I shake my head as she takes another sip since it will make the night much more enjoyable.

"Where's Casper?" I ask, looking down the crowd in search of him. Diego points at the street where there are spectators lined up by the street, their faces illuminated by the pulsating lights of the souped-up cars revving their engines. Casper stands in the middle of the road, hyping everyone up.