Heaven's On Fire

AnnMarie's POV:

"The 'Kas' comics have been flying off the shelves, AnnMarie. My boss really liked the cover art you provided for Corroded Coffin on their self titled album as well and the company is beyond impress with your sales. We have agreed to pick up at least three of your other works. Can you have some new concept pieces to me by the end of the month?" Margaret my publisher asked into the phone. I was bouncing, doing my best not to scream with joy and remain composed. Nancy and Robin stand beside me, stroking my hair and arms. Their faces are alight with excitement as they wait for the news.

"Absolutely," I agree. "I've got a few things in the works I've got to finish up and can have them sent over by then. Thank you so much, Margaret."

"We look forward to continuing to working with you, AnnMarie," she says kindly before disconnecting the call. Once I end the call, I put the phone down and scream at the top of my lungs. Nancy and Robin jump back covering their ears as I let it all out. When I finish, I turn to them and beam.

"They've picked me up for at least three more works!" I exclaim, doing a happy little dance. "I'm actually doing it!"

Both girls squeal excitedly and embrace me.

"You have to call Eddie and tell him," Nancy urges, holding out the phone and I blanch slightly.

Corroded Coffin's debut album dropped the week following Christmas and the success that followed was remarkable. They jumped up to number eleven on the metal top fifty the first week it was out and than ultimately landing the number two spot and staying there for several weeks, which is huge for a new band. Eddie and the guys have been so busy with interviews, photoshoots, and promotional content that they have barely been around. They signed for a brief east coast tour with another up and coming band at the end of January and will be gone until mid-March. I had already flown out twice to see Eddie, once for their first show in Maryland and than again a week ago.

Last week, I spent most of my time in my hotel room, unable to spend time with Eddie during his busy schedule. He came to visit me at night and I always went to see his shows, but I left feeling lonelier than when I had arrived. What had made it worse was he seemed so unfazed. He didn't seem to miss me at all. I told myself he was just happy about his big break and of course he missed me, but the feeling still lingered making my heart hurt.

I really did want to call him about the publishing deal. To be honest, I just wanted to hear his voice but more likely than not I would get his answering machine and I didn't want to feel sad right now. I shook my head and took the phone from Nancy and placed it back on the table. Her eyebrows furrowed and Robin looked at her, confused.

"He's probably so busy," I shrugged. "I'll just call him later. Right now, I need to go to the art supply store. Mind coming with?"

They agree and we pile into Nancy's car. I let them pick whatever girly pop songs they want without too many complaints and smile to myself. I can't believe people like my comics. They have been enjoying my work. A happy little tear rolls out of the corner of my eye and I hastily wipe it away. I wish my grandfather was alive to see me now.

***********************************************************************************************

Once back home with art supplies in hand, I set up my work station and start to get a vision board started for my first concept. I think the storyline for my first piece is going to follow the lines of an old man who lives in a cottage in the woods. He's nearing the end of his life and he has decided to live in solitude. He has lived mostly peacefully the last few months until recently when he has found toys and children's items washing up in his stream on his property. The old man knows no one lives nearby for miles so he is unsure how the items got there. Unsure what else to do, he brings them into his shed and cleans them off and stores them. Eventually, the issue escalates and he starts to find remains of small children around his land. Growing fearful, the old man spends most of his days digging in his yards, trying to make sure no other remains are there. In the night, he is restless. He hears noises that he knows aren't there like children laughing and toys jangling. On multiple occasions he sees a little girl with blond hair and a blue dress watching him and he tries to talk to her, but she never responses. When he goes to approach her she vanishes almost into thin air.