Chapter 17!

Mei’s POV:

The next day, as Yuzu planned I was at her house knocking her door at 7 am. She invited me for breakfast and once breakfast is done, we are going to visit her boyfriend and then we are going together to school.  We are skipping her practice today as she begged for it.

Here I am standing before her door not knowing what to do with my anxious feelings once again. When I was about to knock the door, it was opened, and there stood her mom.

She giggled and said, “What happened Mei?, you are standing outside for the past 15 minutes nervous. It was like you are coming for the first day”, I forgot that she can watch me from her kitchen and I remembered the first day how I was anxious. But, this is not the same. I don’t understand my feelings. I don’t understand it? Am I jealous of her boyfriend because of possessiveness as a friend or if I have feeling more than that. Is she just my friend?

My thoughts were disturbed when someone hugged me. It was Yuzu. For some reason, she knows when I needed a hug. She had a concerned look on me. I Understood what it is. I didn’t sleep well last night, not because I have to meet her boyfriend but today is my dad’s death anniversary. It was hard for me to hide my feelings around her when all I need is to snuggle with her and hear her heartbeat to make sure everything is alright. However, I do not want to be a person to make her unhappy with all my worries and   troubles. Till now, she has never asked me about my Dad’s death as she knew I felt uncomfortable whenever that topic comes. I got to know about her dad and he died of heart attack. He loved tennis so much and that is the reason Yuzu wants to shine on it. The day when I met her as younger, was the day next of her father’s death and she missed him. She said I was able to console her though I remember being a brat to her as I threw tantrum as my mother left me that day.

She knows never to question me when I do not want to answer. Hence, we silently ate our breakfast and went to the café where her boyfriend is waiting. I came to know that his name is Charlie. When we entered the café near our school, I saw a boy with blonde hair waving at Yuzu. I assume that should be Charlie. He was tall and handsome and they looked like a good pair, but I didn’t like him. I felt a negative aura around him, not because I have feelings for her but I need the best for her. I want her to be happy to whomever she is with.  When we went near, he pulled her and gave a chaste kiss and she sat near him which disappointed me. We got introduced but he didn’t pay much attention to me. But, I saw him eyes wandering around all the girls. I was not sure why Yuzu didn’t notice this. She was all lovey-dovey with him which made me felt nauseous. After few minutes, they forgot that I am here and started kissing and making out which made me to piss off. I had enough as my mind was already in trouble.

I grabbed my bag and hit my hand on the table so that they would notice me, “You know Yuzu, I am going to school now. You can have your time with your boyfriend and come later”, anger radiated from me which she understood. I didn’t wait for an answer and my legs started walking towards school.  I heard her calling my name but I don’t care to look back.

Yuzu’s POV:

What is with Mei? She looked pissed off from the time she came home. And in café she just walked out. I knew it was my mistake not concentrating on her. But, I am meeting him after our fight and I got carried out.

“Leave her babe, I do not like her”, my boyfriend said and continues, “She is arrogant and she do not deserve to be your friend”, he said and hugged me from back. I sighed and spend few minutes with him, and walked back to school. On the way back to school, I thought of seeing Mei and confront her asking what is in her mind.

To my surprise, she didn’t come to any of the classes and I couldn’t find her in the ground as well. I thought of checking her in the student council room, only to be blocked by her friend Himeko.

“Hey curly girl, I just want to meet Mei?”, I smiled at her so that she would leave me.

“No, she asked us not to allow anyone”, her voice came back.

“What?”, I yelled and mumbled, “It should be me angry on her for her behavior with my boyfriend. I am not going to beg her”, and turned around to walk back, but I was caught by Himeko. She held my wrist tightly. Her eyes were showing anger and that’s when I understood I said it louder.

“You know what Yuzu. I was happy that Mei found her happiness with you. After her dad’s death, she was truly smiling when with you. But you don’t deserve to be her friend”, she started saying. When I tried confronting her she stopped me saying, “You should be happier that even though she was in too much in pain today, she hid everything to see your boyfriend”. Then it hit me.

I startled and asked, “What? Why?.. why is she in pain?”, I asked her.

“You don’t know?”, she asked me and I nodded ‘No’. “What kind of friend you are, today is her dad’s death anniversary”, she said and walked away.

I stood there frozen. The words hit me. What a friend am I? I was selfish only considering me. She needed me today but I slipped her the second time. Tears started rolling by and guilt rushed in my heart that it didn’t let me to knock the door again. I went home with a heavy heart.