Hiding In Plain Sight

The team sat in a stolen military jeep, heading to South Carolina, Diane was in the drivers seat with Becky ignoring her in the passenger seat while the others were in the back.

Diane had to pull over once at a petrol station to grab some food and refuel the car, Becky still annoyed at recent events.

Once they got back inside the car the other three team members were sleeping, Diane complaining to Becky about the service, "that was kind of ridiculous, fifteen minutes just to fill up the car.

"I don't want to hear you complaining. How do you think I feel after you left me on the floor, I felt humiliated, the soldiers had pushed me yet you didn't intervene until the soldiers were dead." Snapped Becky angrily.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't risk being shot by them" said Diane.

"Shows how much you care about me" said Becky.

"Listen I'm sorry-" said Diane, but before she could finish her sentence Becky slapped her.

"Shut up. I don't want to hear it. Get back to driving." Said Becky.

Diane clutched her face in pain but continued driving, afraid that Becky would do worse.

From Massachusetts to South Carolina it took them about fourteen and a half hours, a new day beginning by the time they arrived.

It was around four AM once they did so they slept in the jeep until seven AM, ready to get back to work.

"So we're here for Black Bart's base of operations, my god this is getting tiring" sighed Diane.

"At least we'll get to the treasure in the end," said Eric.

"It's funny. At first now we were doing this for revenge but now it's about the treasure, we've accepted James is gone and the revenge is only a slight cherry on top" said Becky.

"Alright, we're in Charleston so it's a big area, our main objective is to find the old safehouse of Bartholomew Roberts, I would say it's hidden in plain sight, so I think we should head to a bar first" said Diane.

"Why a bar? Thought we were meant to be looking for the safehouse?" Asked Theo confused.

"Sorry I didn't explain that as well as I should of, the bar has been there for a couple centuries, constantly adapted by the new owners, the bar in question Black Bart owned once, maybe we can get some info about the history of the bar and therefore info about him" explained Diane.

"Good idea, let's go I suppose" said Liam.

"I also forgot to mention we're breaking into the place, can't be bothered waiting so let's go" said Diane.

The team exited the jeep and walked over to the bar, which was closed up until hours later.

Becky attempted to boot the locked door open, however she failed. Theo grabbed a house mailbox from across the street and threw it through the bar window, smashing all the glass.

"Theo!" Shouted Becky.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"You're gonna wake everyone up and you have probably triggered an alarm by breaking that window!" Snapped Becky.

Theo put his hand up, "wait. Do you hear that?" He asked.

"Hear what?" Asked Becky.

"Exactly. Nothing, if there was an alarm or anyone waking up to the noise it would have occurred by now. Now let's go" said Theo, stepping into the bar by the damaged window.

Becky reluctantly followed, frustrated at recent events, she did not like being put in her place.

Diane walked over to a painting on the wall, it was kept in a glass box, it must've been painted centuries ago, it was a painting of Black Bart having a drink at the bar paying in gold coins.