{2} - The Burnt Past

The Freytag's pyramid consists of seven key steps in a book; exposition, inciting incident, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, and denouement

The Freytag's pyramid consists of seven key steps in a book; exposition, inciting incident, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, and denouement. In simpler terms, there is always a beginning, middle and end to a story.

My life although, which would perfectly classify as a fucked-up story has been in the middle stage for as long as I can remember. And sometimes, I wonder if my story will even get an ending unless it's me killing myself.

I have thought about that, quite a number of times in-fact. What's stopping me?

Revenge.

When my mother gave birth to me, she said she knew at first glance that I was going to be different.

And she was right.

I had an older brother, I'm not sure if he is dead or alive anymore but I hope it's the latter. My older brother, Hendrix, was every mother's nightmare. Always screaming, crying and misbehaving as a child, that was my brother.

And I couldn't have been more different from him. Mama named me Amira for my elegant and quiet behaviour. I acted like a princess, she told me. Sometimes, she even joked around saying how when she gave birth to me, the nurse's were concerned because I wasn't crying like normal babies would do.

I was sensitive, an emotional person by heart. One of my greatest values was my sympathy and mama admired that about me. She said that with or without my families wealth, I would always remain a princess by heart which is why she named me Amira, my name literally meaning princess.

No one has called me by my name for a long while though, it's the measurements I had to take to ensure my identity remained a secret.

But all those values and traits got burned a long time ago. Now, I felt nothing. I could look someone eye to eye as I glided a knife across their throat, and I wouldn't feel a thing.

In life, I never got things the easy way. So I learnt how to make a living for myself, how to survive in this cruel world.

I'm reminded of reality again when I hear Carmen squeal for my name. It sounded as a faint whisper to my ears but it was enough to wake me up from my thoughts and place the polaroid of my mother back onto my dressing table. I smile softly at my mother's beauty and rub my thumb over her smile, wishing I could see it once more with my eyes.

I miss her.

" Oh my fuck, I'm so ready to get back home." Carmen says, flopping onto her desk chair beside mine as she takes her fake eyelashes off.

Beauty is a powerful thing. With beauty and confidence, you can have anyone wrapped around your finger and they wouldn't even know it. Too bad every man I have ever seen or met are after the fake tits and their own abnormal beauty standards. I would be embarrassed to be a man, the only good thing god has ever done me is create me as a women.