31: Rebirthday ▪️

Song For This Chapter: Imagine Dragon - Bones

-Trigger Warning for this Chapter: Slight Gore-

-Sena(y/n)-

To hell with it all.

That's what Sena thought as she overlooked her mother's decrepit condition. After Sena murdered the doctor, the hospital swore she wouldn't be allowed back to receive the news of her mother's condition, but Tsukauchi pulled some strings. He pitied her, for no one should find such news as she did, the truth of how her mother sustained the injuries.

Yoshio ... She couldn't think of the name without trembling with rage.

She didn't need proof; she knew he did it, and though she screamed out his name to the police, Tsukauchi insisted he was already under arrest within his mansion, so there was nothing more that could be done.

The audacity was deplorable, and the news from the nurses was even more so. They refused to speak with Sena unless her wrists and ankles were cuffed and the officers were present.

"We've kept a close eye on her for the last few days, but we're sorry to say we don't think your mother's condition will improve. It's possible she could wake up, but even then, she wouldn't be able to care for herself. She would need constant supervision, and what with your current situation-" The nurse dressed in white scrubs trailed off, too cautious about continuing.

Sena didn't speak. She didn't move. The group stood quiet until Sena finally turned to Shuichi, her eyes on the floor. "... Can I go say bye?" She asked in a mutter.

"Of course," Shuichi said, nodding to Kanzo, who opened the hospital room's door.

Sena glanced into the room to her mother's silhouette beneath the blankets but turned back to Shuichi. She rattled her cuffs. "Without these?" Shuichi sighed heavily, and Kanzo, Kodaka, and he exchanged uncertain looks. Sena sensed the hesitation and met his eyes with the despair fully on display. "... Please?"

Shuichi sucked his teeth. "Fine, but you're back in 'em as soon are you're done." So they unlocked both sets of cuffs, and Sena stepped into the room, shutting the door behind her.

Beep.

That's where she was now, at Yozera's bedside, breathing the heavy air, trying to find the strength to move her fingers that twirled strains on her mother's golden head.

Beep.

She held her mother's hand and gazed upon her face. Ragged exhales and a dim smile camouflaged teary eyes. "Do you remember that time when I was a kid," She started in hushed words, "... It was summer, and it hadn't rained in ages. You were... You were in the kitchen making miso soup for me... And you let me taste-test it, and I swear it was the best bowl you've ever made." Her voice cracked as the words grew harder to speak.

Beep.

"But I remember you saying how badly you wished it would rain, and so-" Sena chuckled as tears swelled, "-And so I used my quirk to steal the water from our neighbor's pool, and I used it to make little droplets so it could rain in the neighborhood." Tears trickled down her smiling cheeks. "I wasn't that good with my telekinesis then, and I ended up flooding the roads." Her head fell as she caught her breath through the tears. Her gaze returned to her mom as the grip on her hand grew tighter. "When you asked me why I did it, and I told you that it was because you wanted it to rain, I remember you were so taken you didn't even care when we had to move." Sena's face contorted and wrinkled as the smile left.

Beep.

"I'm sorry," Sena croaked, shaking her head. "Y-You didn't deserve this... You deserved a better daughter than me... but I couldn't have asked for a better mother." Sena held her mother's cheek. "You knew the truth about me before I knew myself, and you still accepted me... Thank you."