24: Burnout ▫️

Song For This Chapter: Melanie Martinez - Detention

-Sena(y/n) POV-

"You two... are betrothed to one another."

I hadn't slept.

I wished I had, but not to rid myself of the exhaustion that weighted my limbs or the throbbing that pushed at my temples; I wished I had slept so I could tell myself it was all a bad dream.

Only It wasn't a dream. I had lived it, and it had seeped into my morning like oil in water.

Tomura was at the forefront of my mind as I jetted through the brisk morning sky to UA with my bulky duffel bag.  When long blinks turned into brief moments of unconsciousness, the only thing that kept me awake was the light mist that made up the clouds.

Forcing myself out of the bar the previous night took every strength, and after our argument, I didn't have much left. It felt like he had ripped my heart out of my chest and carved it in front of me. The worst was that as much as I told myself I did, I didn't hate him.

The emotional pain was greater than the physical. The bullet wound above my hip still ached. A circular, pale scar was in its place. The serum accelerated my healing and made it so I could walk without a noticeable limp.

By some miracle, I touched down right behind the bus just in time for roll call.

"Mikami?" Mr. Aizawa called out across the sea of students' heads.

"Present!" I confirmed, dropping my duffel to the concrete with a thud.

Along with my classmates whose doubtful eyes crawled across me like ants I couldn't shake, I found Ochaco's cautious gaze laid on me. It was the first time I had seen her since my attempt on her life. She stood within a gaggle made up of Deku, Mina, Asui, Ida, and Momo. When Momo and Mina saw me, they whispered, glancing in my direction. My face was hot, and I wanted nothing more than to shrink and disappear.

Ida eagerly hustled over to my side. "Goodmorning Sena!" I winced at his volume. "Excited for summer camp?" He chirped while picking up my bag effortlessly.

"Of course." I managed, attempting to bring up my energy.

"Should be a beautiful day." He shoved my duffel into the compartment for luggage beneath the bus and slammed the hatch shut. "There we go, all set."

"Thank you." I articulated.

"You're quite welcome." He took a step closer. I recoiled instinctively. "I want this class trip to go as smoothly as possible. I'm sure you would like the same?" He inquired with a mask of pleasantness.

"Yeah," I replied with uncertainty, looking him over cautiously.

"Then if I were you, I would avoid certain situations or people. I trust you understand what I'm saying." His simple grin remained plastered on his face.

My chest tightened as if he had stabbed me with his words. It took every strength not to show my disdain in my expression. "Yeah, sure." I retorted gruffly.

He gulped, realizing he had offended me. "Of course." He bowed slightly before returning to the front of the class, approaching Momo and speaking directly into her ear. The hair stood on the back of my neck as I could practically feel my name in his mouth.

"Goodmorning."

I jumped, as I had not heard Shoto's footsteps before his gentle greeting. "Oh. Good morning."

"Did I scare you? I'm sorry. I was almost afraid you weren't going to make it."

"Yeah, so was I," I mumbled. "Almost hoped I wouldn't." I glimpsed up at Ochaco, who was swapping whispers with Asui while glaring in my direction. "How was your weekend?" I asked, my spit dragging down my throat. I didn't really care how his weekend was; I just wanted people to see me engaging in conversation.