Chapter 25

Lisa

"I had a lot of fun tonight," I tell Jennie, leaning up against Hoony's truck parked in her driveway. She decided to walk me out. I just got done saying goodbye to her parents after having dinner and watching the game with her dad. It's almost 10 p.m. now and I figured I better get going.

"I'm glad." She smiles, crossing her arms over her chest to ward off some of the cool evening breeze. "And it's nice seeing my dad talk to an actual person instead of the TV while watching a game." she giggles.

"You still haven't learned much about football, have you?"

She gives me a sheepish look.

"Finch, Finch, Finch." I tsk, shaking my head. It's then I come up with an idea. "Come to my game tomorrow." I say.

She looks at me hesitantly. "I don't know... maybe."

"That doesn't sound very convincing." I admit.

I watch her, determined to get her to at least one of my games this semester.

"What do you say we make this tutoring thing a bit more interesting?" I say, smirking and leaning further into the truck, crossing my arms and ankles.

Her brows pinch together and she tilts her head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"How about we make a bet?" I bribe.

She looks at me sceptically. "And what kind of bet are you thinking about?" she ask, a hint of a challenge in her voice.

"If I do well on this next test, you have to go to the homecoming game."

She purses her lips thoughtfully, nodding. "Define well."

"Um... ok I get a C for my next test."

She shakes her head. "C+." she counters.

"Fine." I agree. "C+ and you come to the homecoming game... and wear my jersey."

Her eyes nearly bug out of her head. "No way."

"Aww, c'mon, Finch." I plea, laying on the charm thick by giving her my best puppy dog pout. I push up off the truck and take two steps to be toe to toe with her. "You'd look really good in my jersey." I say lowly, almost seductively.

I hear her gasp softly, and she takes a step back. "Lisa..."

"Please?" I beg, batting my lashes.

She chews at the bottom corner of her lip nervously. "Okay." she says slowly. "Fine." But before I can victoriously pump my fists in the air she cuts in and adds, "Only if you get a C+ on the test and a C on every lab quiz until then."

I feel myself deflate, shoulders slumping. I'm about to negotiate, but the look she shoots me says that her decision is final. I sigh. "You drive a hard bargain, Finch, but you've got yourself a deal." I stick my hand out to her to shake on it, and before she can let go I playfully jerk her forward and she stumbles into my chest. Her palms land flat on my chest to stabilise herself. "You're going to look great in my jersey." I whisper huskily down into her ear.

Those honey coloured eyes widen in shock as they look up at me, and her cheeks burn red. She quickly regains balance and takes a step back, clearly flustered, making me chuckle. She clears her throat, tucking some hair behind her ear. "Don't get too cocky." she says, trying to humble me.

"Don't act like you're not dying to wear my jersey." I tease, advancing on her.

Her eyes widen and she takes a step back, ready to bolt. In a playful mood, I lunge forward and a surprised squeal escapes her lips. On bare feet, she turns and runs up the pathway to her porch. Before she can reach the porch I wrap my arm around her waist, pulling her back into my chest and lifting her off the ground.

"Lisa!" she yells, laughing uncontrollably.

I can't help but chuckle, setting her back down on her feet on the porch. She turns around, almost eye level with me now that she's a step up on the porch.

"Goodnight, Finch." I say, backing up slowly towards the truck.

"Goodnight." she says softly, smiling. "Get back safe."

"Yes, ma'am." I say, taking my keys out of my back pocket and spinning them around my finger. "See you on Monday."

"See you on Monday. Feel free to study." she calls out, making me laugh. She stands on her porch until I'm backed out of her driveway, giving me one final wave goodbye.

As soon as I'm about to pull out of her subdivision my phone chimes out with a text. I quickly glance at the screen to see it's from Hoony.

Hoony: Yo! You coming to Mark's party or what?

I quickly type back that I'm on my way and pull up to Mark's place ten minutes later. I make sure to lock the truck before I walk up the steps and into the older house that's thumping from the bass of the speakers.

Walking into the kitchen, I grab a beer from the fridge and make my way to the dining room, knowing I'll find Hoony and some of the guys at the beer pong tables.

"Hey, man." I clap hands with Hoony as soon as I find him.

"Dude, what the fuck is all over your arm?" he asks, staring at all the ink on my arm from Jennie.

I can't help but smile, taking a swig of my beer. "Anatomy."