Chapter 67

Lisa

Her caramel hair flies in the wind, the skirt of her navy dress whipping against her thighs in the slight breeze, flaring out when she starts to twirl around in a circle. Pure happiness is written across her face as her bare feet pad around in the wet sand, the waves lapping at her feet whenever the tide rolls back in. She looks so effortlessly beautiful, her head carelessly thrown back as a wide and blissful smile takes over her face.

The sun is starting to set around us, the blue sky streaking with various pinks and oranges. Looking at her, the ocean and sunset create the perfect backdrop. I don't know if I'll ever see or experience anything as beautiful in comparison ever again.

She straightens, smiling at me over her shoulder while extending out her hand, beckoning me closer. So much life lights up her eyes that while looking into them, I feel like I've hardly ever lived.

More than willing, I walk up behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind and resting my chin on her shoulder. I kiss the shell of her ear and she leans back into my chest, a small, contented sigh leaving her lips.

"Is it everything that you dreamed it would be?" I tease lightly, knowing how excited she had been.

"Definitely." she says, a lazy smile gracing her lips.

I plant a series of kisses along her neck as she watches the ocean and the sky changing colours beyond it.

"Did you come to this beach often?" she ask, and I know that she's lightly probing me for answers about my childhood.

"Probably once or twice." I admit vaguely, my lips still attached to her neck. "I rarely ever came to the beach."

It's true, even though I was living in Florida, I've only been to the beach a couple of times. Most of those times were when I was in high school, sneaking out to attend the parties held late at night that were typically busted by the cops. None of my foster parents were fans of that. But I imagine in Jennie's head the experiences I've had here are filled with family fun and sunshine.

She hums in acknowledgment. "Maybe one day you could show me around all the places that you used to go to. Your house, high school, wherever." she says, and I can hear the hesitancy, the nervousness in her voice, knowing that I won't be too keen on the idea.

I sigh into her shoulder, afraid that this would happen. I gently spin her around to face me, brushing her hair out of her face. "Baby, I wish I could. But I can't even count the number of different houses and schools I've been shipped off to since I was a kid. I've never stayed in one place for long, and all the houses that I stayed in with my mother were either abandoned or shitty apartments owned by her lousy ex-boyfriends. I... I don't want you to see that." I admit shamefully.

I watch her eyes fill with sadness. She takes my face in her hands, standing on her tiptoes to place a tender, understanding kiss on my lips. "Okay. I understand." she whispers, resting her cheek against my chest, her arms wound tightly around my waist.

I stroke her hair, resting my chin on top of her head. Heavy silence falls between us, the only sounds are the waves crashing around us.

"Do you want to see your grandmother at all?" she asks, breaking the silence.

I close my eyes, holding my breath. "Would you be mad if I didn't want to see her?"

She hesitates for a moment. "No."

I can tell that she's lying, that me not wanting to see my grandmother is bothering her, which is bothering me because I don't want to disappoint Jennie.

"I just don't want you to regret it one day when it's too late." she admits softly into my chest, and my arms instinctively tighten around her.

Oh my sweet girl. Would I regret it one day? Probably not. But what I would give to do anything for Jennie.