Chapter 32

Lisa

After English classes, I follow Jennie to the library to study. We walk across campus, the air cooler now that fall has arrived. The trees have just started changing colours, leaves falling and swirling around in the breeze. With the temperature change, Jennie has exchanged her staple T-shirts for sweaters, looking so adorable and cosy. She's wearing a cream coloured sweater today paired with black jeans and tall brown boots, her long caramel hair tied back in a braid.

"You know...." I say as we walk up the library steps, "... you could have worn my hoodie today."

A small gasp escapes her lips. "Oh shoot, I forgot to bring it in today to give it back to you." she worries.

"Don't worry about it, Finch." I assure her. "I don't want it back. The jersey, though... as much as I'd love for you to keep it, I don't think coach would be too happy to have a jersey missing."

"I'll get it back to you." she promises.

We walk into the library and grab our usual table tucked away in the back corner. She pulls out all of her study materials, getting everything set up. Flipping through the pages of the text book, Jennie sketches out a quick outline of topics to go over, referring back to our notes. I watch as she scribbles and highlights, my mind running a little wild whenever she pauses to think, pressing the end of her pen to her bottom lip.

Those lips. They look so soft and so inviting.

My mind wanders back to the other night, how it felt to be slotted between her thighs, my hands running up and down them. How it felt to have her hands on my body. And when her breath mingled with mine at one point...

Damn. I want those lips on mine. To sink my teeth into her bottom lip and suck, letting my tongue...

"Lisa?" Jennie's sweet voice pulls me out of my thoughts. I look up to see her looking at me expectantly. I clear my throat, adjusting myself in my seat and sitting up straighter. "Yup?"

She looks at me tentatively. "Ready to get started?"

Kissing? Hell yeah.

But then I glance down at all the books in front of her.

Studying? Right. Not really, hell no.

But I nod anyway and I try my best to focus on what she's saying, I really do, but it's so hard to concentrate with all the wildly inappropriate thoughts running through my head. Unable to concentrate, I lean forward, placing my elbows on the table. "Finch." I say, cutting her off and lightly nudging her foot with mine under the table.

She looks up from her textbook at me. "Yeah?"

I bite my lower lip, trying to suppress a grin. "We've never discussed the wages for the next test."

She blinks, looking perplexed. "You want to make another bet?"

I lean back in my chair, folding my arms over my chest and giving a casual one shoulder shrug.

She gives me a pointed look. "Depends. What are you thinking?"

"Hmm..." I hum, thinking of a way to make this interesting. I've been thinking about it pretty much non-stop since Rosé and I talked this morning, and I think I've come up with the perfect plan.

"If I pass the next test, you have to go to 'The Library' with me."

Her face screws into a cute, confused expression. "But we're already at the library..." she trails off, acting like this is some sort of riddle or trick.

I can't help but chuckle. "Not this library, Finch. 'The Library'."

It takes her a moment, but eventually it clicks and her eyes grow wide in realisation. She begins shaking her head. "No, Lisa, I can't... I... I've never been to that library." she sputters adorably.

"There's a first time for everything." I grin.

I could only guess that she's never been to 'The Library', the local night club that's popular amongst the college crowd. Which is exactly why I want to be the first one to take her.

She shakes her head again. "That library's not really my scene." she admits, her nose crinkling adorably.

"And you think this library is my scene?" I tease with a playful grin. "Come on, Finch, it'll be fun." I try to coax her. She gives me a tentative look, anxiously nibbling at the corner of her bottom lip.

Damn, those lips...

"You'd have to get nearly a perfect score in order for that to happen." she says.

"Fin..." I being, planning to persuade her, but she holds up her hand, silencing me.

"An A at least."

"How about a B+?" I counter, knowing there's no way in hell I'll be able to pull off an A.

She shakes her head. Now she's the one leaning back in her chair, arms folded over her chest, looking uncompromising. "I'll accept nothing less than an A."

I mull it over, trying to think of some sort of compromise, but she doesn't look like she's going to budge. I lean over the table, ducking my head low to meet her honey coloured eyes. "You know, you're pretty sexy when you take charge."

Flustered by my boldness, I see her authoritative mask slip for a moment. But she composes herself by sitting up straighter, her folded arms tightening across her chest. "Those are my terms." she says with finality, only the tiniest nervous wobble detected in her voice.

I grin, leaning back and getting more comfortable in my chair. "You drive a very hard bargain, Finch. You must really not want to go with me."

I watch her features soften a fraction, a look of guilt flashing across her face. "It's not that." she mutters so low I almost don't hear her.

Damn, now I kind of feel like a jackass for making her feel bad. I only meant it as a semi-joke.

Before I can ask her what it is like, my phone begins ringing in my pocket and I quickly grab for it, silencing the ringer. I glance at the screen, mentally groaning. This is the third time I've gotten this call in the past week, so I know something must be up. I just don't have the time or the mental capacity to deal with it right now.

Stuffing my phone back into my pocket, I look up at Jennie. "Like I said, Finch, you drive a hard bargain, but I'll have you know that I thrive under pressure. And with the stakes this high..." I let out a low whistle, "... I may even score an A+."

That seems to put a tiny smile on her face.

"I'm going to have to work my ass off in order to score that grade." I admit. "So I guess I'll have to spend even more time with my tutor." I say, giving her a hopeful, lopsided grin.

She bites back a smile, sitting up straight in her chair, flipping a page of her textbook. "I think she can squeeze you in her schedule."