Chapter 32 - Anything?

One thing I had forgotten to prepare myself for when dating a multi-billionaire, was the blasted paparazzi!

It had gotten very crazy ever since the news about his near brush with death was released to the public.

I don't even know who could have possibly told them.

Maybe Dr. Fields.

He seemed like he wasn't above doing less than scrupulous things for an extra buck but what did I know?

While ducking through the line of paparazzi outside Rafael's building, I heard a few of their horribly probing questions including:

"What exactly happened to Mr. Montero?"

"Ma'am, are you Montero's girlfriend?"

That one made me blush a little because I honestly had no clue what we were.

"Is it true that he's an Isoniazid addict?"

I ignored all their questions and breathed a sigh of relief when the lobby security closed the doors after I managed to enter, effectively keeping them out of the building.

"Every single day," I muttered, waving at the Desk guy so he would realize that it was me and let me up to the penthouse.

When I entered the elevator, I breathed another sigh of relief.

I was certain those pesky paparazzi couldn't get to me now.

Why did no one ever tell me that people were that interested in the economically wealthy, even though their jobs weren't half as glamorous as the actors and actresses, models, and other celebrities that existed?

You googled Rafael before you met him though.

Shut up conscience, that was because I had a job interview with him and wanted to know what the hell I was getting myself into.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I chuckled to myself at my inner monologue.

As I rode the elevator up to Rafael's wildly spacious penthouse, my mind ran on my family.

I had been dying to see them ever since Rafael almost died in the hospital.

Nothing like a good old reminder of your fickle mortality to get you missing the parents.

Ding.

The elevator opened and I stepped into Rafael's foyer.

Hopefully, he was abiding by the doctor's rules or I would have no choice but to call in reinforcements.

AKA his mother.

"Rafael?" I called out.

His place was eerily quiet and that made me nervous.

I know what the implications of my being in his home were but trust me, we were not even close to doing the deed.

I was just here to check up on him and take care of him if need be.

"Rafael?" I called out again.

Maybe he was asleep.

That made the most sense.

I went to his bedroom to check if he was there and lo and behold, there he was, in bed, covered completely in blankets.

As I stared at his completely covered form, I couldn't help but get suspicious, especially because his body showed no signs of respiration.

Hmm.

Maybe I should just pull the blanket back a little and check his pulse or something.

What if he was poisoned again and this time, it actually worked?