❦ Chapter Two ❦

Sidney sat down in the chair and let out a soft sigh as she looked through her drawer for anything. She found nothing but office supplies that were not editable. "I need something to eat or drink to keep me awake." 

Molly Chicot, her best friend, and co-worker took notice. "You okay, Sid?" She asked softly, walking over and sitting down beside her at her computer. She pushed her golden brown hair to her back, which was in a low ponytail that reached the middle of her back. Her bright ocean-blue eyes softened as she had been studying her friend attentively. She rested her hands on her lap. "Sidney?"

Sidney turned to her after hearing her again, the first one didn't register, but the second one did. "Oh, sorry, what did you say?" She asked softly, rubbing the back of her neck. 

Molly giggled at her friend, leaning forward and resting her elbow on the desk, then rested her chin in her hand. "I asked if you were okay. You seem not entirely there and have your head in the clouds. I was worried about you." She replied, resting her free hand on her friend's arm.

Sidney placed her hand on her friend's on her arm, she forced a smile on her lips. "Don't worry about me, I am fine! I am just a little sleepy. I just wish I could get off early for once and sleep all day." 

Molly giggled at Sidney's words and shook her head. "You know, all us academy age kids who entered the scholarship will leave early to watch to see if we've won." She replied, a stupid grin on her face.

Sidney picked at the skin on her fingers as her hands rested in her lap. "But there's one problem with that: I never entered." She commented, shifting her eyes from the computer screen up to his best friend. 

Molly's mouth dropped to the ground while a few inhumane noises rolled out. "You didn't enter?" She gasped as she looked like a deer in headlights, only blinking a bit. "Out of all the people who entered, I thought you'd be one of them! How could you not? I mean, don't you want a better life for your family?" 

Sidney let out a soft huff of air slouching down in her chair. "I do want to make a better life for my family, but I'm not cut out for that life. I work two jobs, take care of my sick mother, and a disabled father, and make sure Missy gets a good education and not be a school drop-out like me." She shifted her gaze to the floor. "I don't have time."

Molly shrugged her shoulders. "I understand that, but they pay your family a thousand dollars a week for the whole time you are there. It's a perk that scholarship winners get." She explained, making various hand gestures.

Sidney looked over at her and chewed on the inside of her lip. "It's too late to enter, and I'm not cut out for the royal life. Do you know how many mess-ups I would make? It is a blessing that today I haven't gotten anything on my suit." She explained, motioning to her attire.

Molly chewed on her lips, playing with her fingers. "About you not being entered in . . .  you're not gonna like what I'm gonna tell you right now, but just bear with me and promise not to be mad." 

Sidney looked over at her friend, a skeptical look displayed on her face. "What is it? You seem like I am a tiger who's going to bounce on you after not being fed for weeks." It was a perfectly suited metaphor for the way Molly was looking at her.

Molly swallowed harshly and nervously laughed, playing with her hair. "I am truly sorry I went behind your back and did it against your will! I entered you into the scholarship drawing three times a day, for a year." She said in all one rushed breath, squeezing her eyes closed and waiting for her friend to react.

Sidney gasped, eyes wide as she stood up abruptly and crossed her arms over her chest. "You did what! Molly, I will be eaten alive by the royals and nobles!" People started to look at her and she sheepishly smiled sitting back down.