❦ Chapter Nineteen ❦

Lunch rolled around and once again everyone gathered in the cafeteria for a delicious meal. 

The whole room held a delicious aroma of mashed potatoes, chicken, carrots, and green beans together with a gravy-like vegetable sauce poured on top.

The aroma from the cafeteria wafted down the halls, calling more kids to eat lunch.

The scholarship winners filed into the line, getting what smelled delicious put onto their trays.

Then once done, they walked over to a table and sat down, fanning out a bit so elbows didn't touch as they ate.

Sidney's eyes scanned the cafeteria for a certain someone. 'Darius said he would be but I don't see him. Not that I could talk to him anyway since he said he would be sitting with Thea.' She thought, letting out an annoyed sigh.

Witty's eyes scanned what hers did and didn't see anyone special. "Who are you looking for?" He inquired, pushing up his glasses while balancing his tray in his free hand.

Sidney twisted her body back to Witty and then pivoted on her heels. "Hmm?" She inquired, it took a moment for what he said to register in her mind. "Oh, um, no one of importance." She passively replied, turning back around. 

Witty wasn't going to push it and press her for an answer. "Okay," He nodded, then looked back around the room. 

Dree watched the scholarship as she walked out of the line. 'Their resilience is annoying.' She thought to herself as she glanced at Thea's cup. She elbowed it, spilling water on the floor with a wicked grin giving a soft laugh as she sat down at the table. 

Thea quickly grabbed her cup, frowning at how much water had spilled. "Dree! That was my water you just spilled. Couldn't you at least be more careful, sheesh?" She scolded the foreign princess, sitting down at the table. 

Dree rolled her eyes and nudged Thea with a smirk. "You really are dense. Opportunity to get rid of the scholarship winners. You need to focus on coming up with ideas on how to get all of the scholarship winners. expelled. I can't keep coming up with ideas, it's exhausting."

"Anyone could slip on it, Dree," Thea looked at Dree and nibbled on some carrots as she spoke. "I understand what you are doing, but you're being too bold. I was always taught to be subtle, like my mom when she's passive-aggressive but you couldn't even tell."

Dree huffed, shaking her head at Thea's words. "How well has that worked out for you?" She deadpanned, taking a sip from her water. "You need to start soon. The sooner they're gone the better for all of us."

Thea slowly shook, resting her elbow on the table and resting her cheek in her hand. "I want to space it out. Too many in a span of a week is too coincidental. Someone is bound to piece it together." She warned, taking a bite out of her carrot.

Dree bitterly narrowed her eyes at Thea. She hated to admit it but she was right, she should wait a bit before she did anything else. "Fine. I'll wait. But I can't make any promises on Thursday since amateurs around horses are bound to get hurt."

Mia glanced over at Thea who groaned then back to Dree. "I don't think that is a good idea. It's only a matter of time before Sidney grows a backbone and tells someone that it was you and you get watched like a hawk." She bluntly pointed out, taking a bite of her food.

Dree frowned as she narrowed her eyes at Mia. "Oh, I didn't know I was speaking to you, Mia. Because I wasn't, I was talking to Thea. You know, Thea, you should teach her to keep her mouth shut a little more." She turned to Thea, disdain laced in her voice.

"That is out of line and you know it. Mia is my best friend and she's free to say whatever she likes whether I agree with it or not. I don't treat her like crap like you do Skye or anyone else for that matter." Thea snapped, jabbing her finger at her.