❦ Chapter Sixteen ❦

After morning classes everyone was instructed to go to the ballroom for dance.

Everyone went up to their lockers and pulled out shoes that were strictly made for dancing thanks to Katherine.

Dree held out the black slippers in her hand and wrinkled her nose. "What was your mother thinking? Making everyone wear these atrocious slippers to dance with?" She fake gagged as she looked at them with disgust.

Thea rolled her eyes pulling her slippers out. "They have steel toes so that if someone steps on another one's toes no one will be getting hurt." She commented, shaking her head at her friend. "Sheesh, Dree,"

"Could she at least have made them sparkly? Maybe even a cute bow? Anything but this matte black, it's hideous!" Dree complained, closing her locker while shaking her head.

Thea glanced at her own shoes in her hand and shrugged. "I like them. I don't understand the problem. They're just shoes to practice in, we won't be wearing them apart from our dance classes." She said flatly, closing her locker gently.

Dree glared at Thea, rolling her eyes and sighing. "Of course, you'd like them. You'd say anything to make your dear mommy happy even if you disagree. You're a doormat sometimes, Thea." She commented with disgust, looking down at her friend. "I mean, why not silver? Anything better than black."

"Get over it Dree!" Thea snapped, having enough of Dree's complaining. "Mom isn't going to change anything and be happy you have them to protect your toes from getting crushed."

"What gives?" Dree huffed, closing her locker quickly as it locked. "You're being so uptight together. You are not normally this snappy with me, that's more my thing than your own."

Thea threw her hands in the air and let them slap against her side. "Maybe I am sick and tired of hearing you complain about everything! Just for once in your life be content with what you have. You don't see me complaining as much as you do about things beyond my control." She chided through gritted teeth.

Dree rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Good grief, no need to be all upset." She defensively exclaimed, putting her hands in front of her. "Where is Mia, by the way? Shouldn't she tell you where she is going? Doesn't she normally stick by you throughout the day?"

Thea shook her head, denying Dree's question. "Unlike how you treat Skye, we don't stick together throughout the day. She's her free person to do whatever she wants. I don't need to know." She matter-of-factly said, placing a hand on her hip.

Dree clenched her jaw as soon as Thea mentioned Skye. "I don't know what you are implying but I treat Skye how you would anyone who was beneath your title. She knows her place, I've taught her well and it makes her parents proud."

Thea's blood was boiling at the haughtiness in her voice as she spoke about Skye. "Well, you know what they say: you catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar." She commented, giving a smug smile to Dree.

Dree glanced behind her and saw Sidney was alone, her scholarship winner friends were with her. It was just her, Thea, and Sidney left behind in the hall. A devilish smirk grew on her lips as she slipped her foot out into the hallway.

Sidney turned around, closing her locket behind her. Starting to walk down the hall, her foot caught Dree's and sent her twisting her body to lessen the impact from falling on her back, which in turn bent her foot in an awkward position.