❦ Chapter Nine ❦

It has been hours since everyone had arrived and got settled into their new rooms for the year of school. 
Then the school's PSA system popped on with a few dings before the voice of the headmistress came on. "Greetings students, please make your way to the auditorium in ten minutes for the assembly. Thank you."

Sidney got off her bed and walked over to the door. She placed her hand on the knot and turned it, pulling it open. She walked out followed by Yasmin and Amelia, who walked down the steps and walked towards the common area.

Witty gave her a friendly smile as he walked over to her. "Hey," He greeted, walking with the group of girls. "Oh, these must be your roommates and the other scholarship winners." He waved at them pushing up his round glasses

Sidney gave a curt but awkward wave back. "Hey, Witty," She greeted, glancing back at her two roommates. "Yes, Yasmin Sersanto and Amelia Costly," She introduced the two girls, motioning to each of them. "I'm Sidney Barnes," She waved too the two boys beside Witty.

"Well, it's a pleasing ladies, I'm Witty Moss, this is Nathaniel Hewitt and Michael Keenan." He introduced his roommates by stuffing his hands into the pockets of his hoodie. 

Nate pushed his feathery brown hair off to the side creating a slight bang off to the left, not only that but messing it up. "Hiya! It is so nice to meet you! I am more than excited for this school year and I know that we will not disappoint anyone!" His jade green eyes shined brightly behind rectangular glasses.

Michael stuffed his hat over his curly black hair and gave a nod. "Nice to meet you too. Is anyone else nervous? I am super nervous. I'm nervous beyond being nervous since there is no word for that. You could say being nervous is an understatement because that would even be an understatement." He rambled nervously as his baby blue eyes darted around.

Sidney nodded, pushing her hair to her back. "Very nervous, Michael. I mean why wouldn't we be nervous? Were from a common background, never been around royals and nobles . . . completely out of out element." She gripped her crossed arms almost hugging herself.

Dree snorted as she walked past Sidney, hearing the latter of her words. "The biggest understatement of the century." She scoffed, placing her hand on her hip. "Why don't you take that as a warning and just go ahead and save the trouble of humiliation and leave?"

Yasmin glared at Dree, her blood begging to boil. "Ignore her, she's just trying to get to us. Heaven forbid we manage to graduate as mere commoners and not flunk like royals or nobles." 

Mia stopped in her tracks when she heard Yasmin. "Some who have been training their whole life as royalty and nobility flunk out and have to redo it again the next year. It isn't even guaranteed even for us." She asked, hoping they'd think long and hard about her words.

All eyes were on Mia and quizzical expressions were on the scholarship winners' faces.

"Why are you telling us this?" Witty asked skeptically, his eyes shifting between his fellow scholarship winners. "You don't care about us."

Mia understood where he was coming from. "Just think about it. Promise me you'll think about it?" She asked again, her voice flat as her eyes searched their faces.

Thea's voice cut through the air, preventing the scholarship winners from answering Mia. "Come on Mia, we got to get a good seat and stop fraternizing with them, we're better than that." She impatiently explained, her eyes beckoning the dark-haired girl.

Mia glanced over at Thea and looked back at the scholarship winners. "Think of what I said as food for thought." She warned, turning on her heels and walking over to Thea before going into the auditorium.