❦ Chapter Thirteen ❦

Dree walked into the library now that there was a free period between the classes. She looked around for a brief moment before making a beeline toward the back corner of the room.

"Thea," She informed as she walked around the corner and looked at the light brown-haired girl who sat in a cushy chair with her legs tucked up under her and her heels on the floor. "You left your phone behind." She extended the phone to her friend.

Thea jerked her head towards Dree who loomed over her. 'Someone found it but how? I hid it well!' She thought to herself, putting a surprised expression on her face as she picked up her purse and rummaged through it. "How could I have lost my phone? Thank you, Dree." She lied, taking the phone. 

Dree truthfully didn't believe Thea but she did have no reason to doubt her. "It was strange because it was under the teacher's desk. I'm surprised I noticed it."

"Dree, are you implying I did it on purpose?" Thea asked coldly, forcing a smile and narrowing her eyes at her friend as she set her phone on the armrest.

Dree crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the bookshelf behind her. "Are you denying the fact I'm implying you did it on purpose?" She countered with her cold tone, raising her eyebrows in contrast to Thea's expression.

Thea rolled her eyes and shook her head. "What reason would I have? Please Dree, enlighten me." She sarcastically asked, feigning sweetness in her voice as she gave the redhead a challenging look.

"I'm not sure," Dree clenched her jaw and dug her nails into her arm. "Maybe you should tell me?" She replied with a question of her very own. 'She's avoiding my questions. She's most certainly hiding something.' She thought, waiting for Thea to reply.

Thea inhaled deeply and let it out slowly, trying to keep calm. "Don't read too much into it. I simply lost it. It probably slipped out of my bag and got kicked under there. Who knows? I'm just glad you found it." She passively replied, wishing nothing more for her to leave. 

Dree's hunch that Thea was lying was still waving a big red flag around the air. "It's a good thing I found it. If a scholarship winner had found it, the chances of them stealing it and selling it wouldn't be shocking." She said, placing a hand on her cheek.

Thea frowned at Dree's words. 'There she is again with her untrust of everyone. I doubt they'd do that, especially Sidney with her situation - wait, why am I defending them?' She shook her head, pushing those thoughts away. "Yes, I suppose it is. Thank you, Dree so very much for finding my phone."

Dree could pick up a hint of condescension in her voice. "It's not a problem. Just be more careful." She warned, pushing off the bookshelf and pivoting on her heels. "Oh, and you've got an unknown number that has been calling you. You might want to see what they want." She called over her shoulder.

Thea picked up her phone and turned it on. Dree had been telling the truth, she had 16 missed video chats and 10 missed calls from an unknown, and there were no texts that she knew of. 

"I wonder who it is?" She tapped the screen, video-calling the unknown back.

"Thea! My darling stepdaughter!" Joy's perky voice exclaimed as the video call connected. "I tried to call you multiple times but you never answered. I was beginning to think you were avoiding me." She pouted with a frown as she removed her big black sunglasses. 

Thea quickly pulled out her headphones and plugged them into her phone, putting the side with the microphone in her ear. "Joy, I have been in my classes which is why I haven't heard your calls. I also put it on silent during school hours because it is supposed to remain in my locker or room." She whispered, flashing a smile.