❦ Chapter Eleven ❦

The first class of the second day was going on for about half an hour, making everyone busy, but Katherine. 

She sat on the couch in the teacher's lounge. She opened up her compact mirror and looked at her reflection. She made sure she looked presentable since she was the mother of the soon-to-be Crown Princess and future Queen.

Out of the corner of her eyes, a man leaned against the door frame, and it happened to be none other than her ex-husband and the former duke, Marshall. 

"What are you doing here?" She exclaimed, standing up and looking at him with bewilderment and a mix of hatred.

Marshall walked over to Katherine with a big smile on his lips as he crossed his arms and stood before her. "You haven't changed a bit." He sarcastically complimented. "Except for a few stress lines here and there."

Katherine forced a fake smile. "Marshall, you haven't changed either." She returned the compliment, but in a condescending tone as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Except for our foul attitude, that stayed the same, hmm?"

Marshall walked into the room and sat on the arm of a chair a few feet from her. "Katherine, the last time I saw you were at our divorce signing." He joked, knowing he had seen her a few more times after then. He crossed his arms over his chest, wondering how she'd react. "Such a momentum time."

Katherine raised her eyebrows at his words. "Has it been that long? Time flies when you don't argue about everything and constantly make it known how much of a great event it was for my brother and his wife to pass on so our daughter could rule." She sweetly remarked, trying to remain cordial.

"I will admit I was in the wrong and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been optimistic about such a tragedy. I may not have liked your brother or his wife, but that was no excuse for me to be insensitive. How many times must I apologize?" Marshall questioned, exasperated. 

Katherine narrowed her eyes even though she forced a smile. "Oh, did your therapist tell you to say that stuff?" She sarcastically commented, rolling her eyes.

Marshall frowned deeply at her choice of words, crossing his arms over his chest. "I haven't seen a therapist in years, so, no. I realized that of my own free will, not that you'd ever choose to see me differently. I've owned up to my mistakes and there is nothing I can do to change that, but I can offer to make up for them if you let me." 

Katherine placed her hands on her hips, rapidly tapping her foot on the floor. "You are something else, aren't you? You are only owning up to it because you know our daughter will accept you better. You're not truly doing it for your conscience." She snapped, jabbing her finger at him.

Marshall sighed, letting his arms fall to his side. "You don't truly know my heart, so you can't say that. I've told this to Joy many times and every time she told me to tell you, so that's what I'm doing. I don't know what you expect me to do?"

Katherine shortly laughed, not believing her ears. "If you truly felt that way then you would have never gotten remarried right after the divorce was final! I never want to remarry because it is not worth the hassle. When I got married it was forever but as we can see even forever doesn't last. The only good thing out of our marriage was Thea, which is the only reason I put up with you." She jabbed her finger at his chest.

Marshall let out a short bitter laugh and a sarcastic smile. "I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't regret marrying each other because then we would regret our daughter and that is just horrible." He bitterly responded in such a happy way.

Katherine pushed a piece of hair from her face. "I could never regret our marriage because let's admit it, we were in love. Then my brother died and things fell apart, so I suppose everything happens for a reason? I am a happy single mother." She was finally gone saying her piece and crossing her arms. "How did you meet Joy again? Oh right, she was a maid here."