December 19th

I was awakened at three in the morning with an unexpected call. It was on the landline I had put into my room years ago and was typically only used by old friends that I haven't informed of my new cellphone or business associates. I staggered to the phone, yes it was in the sitting room not my bedroom. "Hello, are you aware of the time?" Hey by now you know me, did you really not expect that.

      "What do you have against my husband?" The voice sounded familiar to me but it took me a moment to figure it out.

      "3 am, it's 3 am... my brain cells don't wake up this early unless I have coffee... I'm sorry but who is this." I yawned and stretched trying to wake up. It was at this moment that I had the brilliant idea to add a kitchenette to my room and include a coffee bar.

      "Mark, this is Mark!" He was agitated

      I was confused "Mark, dude... what's up." I yawned again "I haven't heard from you in how long?"

     "Are we playing innocent or are you really clueless." He was legitimately asking

       "Confused, maybe clueless, after all it is 3 am." I took a deep breath starting to wake up "what is it I have supposedly done that deserves a tongue lashing."

       "Nothing apparently, your online accounts have been hacked. Change your passwords, especially Snapchat..."

     "Okay is there a code word I can send to let you know I've done that?"

     "Yeah, what's my tattoo?" He laughed

      He always did have a great laugh "so now that I am awake tell me what's going on. I can hear the strain in your voice."

     "In between homes, losing friends right and left. Why are people such assholes."

     "I don't know dude, but do remember you are asking an asshole so..." he laughed "if you need steady work and a place to live head this way, okay."

     "It's not that simple, we have his brother and sister too." He bit back the tears "it's just the four of us and the baby in a motor home that needs to be taken out and shot. We work a bit then one of the people we think is our friend gets us fired. We have very little money left..." he was cracking under the pressure.

      "The offer still stands" I was worried about him "and we have a new member of the group out here that is good with engines apparently, he got that piece of crap snowmobile working like new."

      "The blue one?"

      "Yep, but now it's more than just blue, parts had to be replaced and we haven't painted it."

      "Aren't you full at this time of the year?" He is moments from accepting the offer.

      "Shouldn't you be with your family at this time of the year?" I could tell there was something eating at him.

      "Yeah, a gay son they are okay with but a black granddaughter is not acceptable."

      "Shit," I took a deep breath "but she is so damn cute, I loved the announcement you sent... did you get my card?"

     "Yes the money was very helpful thank you."

    "Head out this way, I've got your back." I was remembering him and how much fun we had, it was a soft and relaxed relationship not entirely focused on the bedroom but that part was the best. "And yes, bring everyone... I know a few places in town are for rent and Bandon is looking for maintenance people at the theater. The acts he's gotten have been upset that there is no one in town to work on their costumes." Mark was in tech, film editing and visual effects but his husband was a fashion expert. I mean mega expert, that man is an expert at all forms and sidebars of the fashion industry, he can even make his own lace... by hand."