Chapter 4

Being seated back on the Top Gun base again after more than 4 years felt absolutely surreal. There were chairs lined up in the hall with an open view of the base, allowing the sound of the jets flying by to set the mood. 

There was nothing in this world that could make a better sound than those jets. It was like a drug to me, expect you wouldn't turn into a nasty or filthy human being if you kept using this drug. No this... this was heaven. 

All the pilots were already seated, talking to each other or just relaxing before the first day. On one side, all the solo pilots were sitting, myself included. Jake had been keen on taking the front row, I sat behind him, with Rooster behind myself and then Coyote and Halo on the two back rows. On the other side, all the other pilots and their WSO sat together.

The chatter that in the mean time had broke out was instantly put to an end as Admiral Bates entered the hall/room, whatever you wanna call it, followed by Cyclone and Hondo. Everyone stood up straight, as the Admiral made it to the front of the class. 

"Good morning, aviators" he began. 

All of us sat back down in our chairs and this was when the excitement kicked in. Was our old Admiral gonna teach us? And what even was this top secret mission?

"Some of you may already know me, I am Admiral Bates and you are all Top Gun graduates. The best of the best" he spoke, looking out at everyone. He looked so powerful up there. "That was yesterday..." our faces instantly fell. "The enemy's new fifth generation fighter levels the playing field. And you can all be sure that we don't have the technological advantage anymore. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." 

It was hard to ignore the changing of my heart beating faster. Judging by the look of his face, this was not gonna be an easy mission. This would probably be one of the toughest mission, I'd ever tried. 

"Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named missions leader while the other half remain in reserve." Admiral Bates continued, his eyes scanning each and everyone of us. 

Only 6 people was needed for this mission, and I was determined to be one of those 6 pilots. 

"Who's gonna teach us?" my brother somehow has the nerve to ask The Admiral who gives him a quick glare before he speaks up again. 

"Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every aspect, you will be expected to learn and master. His exploits are legendary, and what he has to teach you may very well be the difference between life and death." I heard footsteps from behind us, and I wasn't the only one. 

A grown man with an unreadable smirk on his face walked towards us all with an F-18 Flight Manual in his hand. 

"I give you Captain Pete Mitchel... call sign: Maverick" Admiral Bates finished giving space for Maverick at the front of our class. 

Maverick? THE Maverick?

Holy shit...

If a pilot doesn't know who Maverick is, they must be living under a rock. He's a legend, a great pilot and a close friend to Admiral Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky, who was another legend in the Navy. I grinned, excited to have Maverick teaching us.

"Good morning class" Maverick began. I felt myself adjusting my position on my chair as I held all my focus on Maverick 

"This book contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft, and I'm assuming that you know this book inside out" he said, speaking about the flight manual

"Damn straight, sir" Coyote spoke up, followed by a few other.

Of course we knew everything in that manual. That's the reason we're sat here today

"So does the enemy" Maverick then stated, creating a whole new mood in the classroom. "But what the enemy doesn't know, is your limits. I intend to find those limits, test them and push beyond. So... today we will start with what you only think you know, you show me, what you're made off" he finished, dismissing the class. 

Oh boy, are we in for a ride...

Fritz and Omaha and then Hangman were the first group to get up in the air, while the rest of us stayed on ground in one of the classrooms with a radio on so we could listen to everything that was happening in the air. 

The radio was placed on a table in the middle of the room. I was sitting with Phoenix and Bob, the pilot and WSO in my group, and the three of us sat on a couch besides the radio.

"Good morning, aviators." Maverick spoke over the radio. "Welcome to basic fighting maneuvers. As briefed, today's exercise is dogfighting. Guns only, no missiles, and don't go below the deck of 5000 feet. Work as a team and shoot me down... or else" he chuckled. 

I glanced quickly at Bob who sat next to me, only to find him with the same curious look on his face. 

"Or else what, sir?" My brother teased. 

You could practically hear him smirking over the radio. 

Cocky asshat 

"Or else I shoot you down, Hangman" Maverick spoke back, equally as sassy as my brother. 

This is gonna be fun. 

"Hm why don't we make this a bit more interesting?" Omaha then spoke up. 

"Idiot" I mumbled to myself, grinning slightly as I hear Bob snicker besides me. 

"What are you suggesting?" Maverick asked.

"Whoever gets shot down has to do 200 push-ups?" Omaha explained.

"That's a lot of push-up" Maverick takes the bait. 

"They don't call it an exercise for nothing, sir" Fritz stated. 

Seriously? 200 push-ups? I just know these guys are gonna regret that later, and then it's gonna impact the rest of us as well. See, this is why I sometimes hate these cocky pilots. They always think that they are the best. I'll give it about 5 minutes before they're all dead. 

"Alright, you've got yourself a deal. Let's turn and burn" Maverick states, and the next thing we hear is Fritz, Omaha and Hangman all cursing and shouting over the radio as Maverick has clearly startled the group. 

We all listen closely to the radio as the group is trying to chase Maverick and shoot him down. As always, Hangman leaves the group and flies solo and not even a minute later, we hear Maverick telling Fritz and Omaha that they're dead. 

I know that my brother is a great pilot, but he's no legend yet. Not like Maverick. They're in the dogfight a bit longer, but eventually, Maverick shoots Hangman as well, Jake letting out a 'Dammit'. 

"Phoenix, Bob and Nova. You're up next" Hondo enters the room where the rest of us are sitting. 

"Alright, let's do this" I grin, the three of us making our way out on the runway towards our planes as we get ready to take off and join Maverick in the sky.

Hopefully, I'll last longer than Jake