Chapter 8

"Time is your greatest enemy" Maverick begins, his face showing an almost unreadable expression, yet the nervousness is still readable. "Phase One of the mission will be a low-level attack with two teams. You'll be flying along the narrow canyon walls to the target. The radar surface-to-air missives defend the skies above, not the canyon below" he finishes as a monitor behind him showed what was being explained of the mission. 

"That's because the enemy knows that no one is insane enough to fly below" Rooster lets out, glaring at Maverick. 

I didn't want to say it out loud, but Rooster was right. This mission seemed more like a suicide mission than anything else. 

Had Maverick finally gone insane?

"Yet that's exactly, what I'm gonna train you to do" Maverick answers, keeping a straight face while looking at each and everyone of us. 

I took a quick glance around the room to see everyone else looking just as much in unease as myself. My eyes landed on Phoenix who gave me a quick glance as well. Then my eyes landed on Bob who sat next to Phoenix. He must have sensed that I looked at him, because his eyes met mine and he gave me a small smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. Probably because he was nervous. 

The monitor behind Maverick changes and now it's showing a timer and a course for Phase One. 

"The time is two and a half minutes. This is because fifth generation fighters are waiting at an airbase nearby the region. A head to head fight with one of those in your F-18's and your dead." Maverick speaks, his words sending shivers down my spine. "That's why you need to get in, hit your target, and be gone before these planes even have a change of catching you. This makes time your greatest enemy" he said, and judging by the look of his face, he too was having a hard time believing in this mission. 

But who could blame him? It seemed as if we would make just the smallest mistake on this mission, we'd all die. This was more of a one way ticket to death. 

"This is insane" I mumble to myself while listening to Yale, Harvard and Rooster on the radio who were the first team to try out the 'flying beneath the canyon' course. 

I suddenly felt another presence besides me and turn around to look at Bob, who just took a seat next to me. He gave me a quick smile which I returned before we both turned our attention back to the radio. 

"Do you think, we'll succeed on this mission?" Bob semi-whispers besides me. 

I turn to look at him before letting out a little sigh, "Honestly, I'm not sure. This is only Phase One of the mission and it already seems difficult, like something we've never tried before." I answer. 

"Yeah... it makes me a bit nervous to think about, but I mean, we're all top pilots, right? We should be able to do this" he replied, some of it sounding a bit like he's just trying to convince himself. 

Without much thought, I grabbed his hand, giving it a small squeeze before flashing him a smile. 

"You're right, Bob. We're the best of the best, we can do this" I say, feeling my cheeks slightly heat up. That's when I remember Phoenix' words.

Damn you, Phoenix

I let go of his hand again when I'm told that me, Fritz and Omaha are up next. 

"Good luck" Bob says, giving me a smile as I get up from my seat. 

"Thanks" I answer before leaving the room to go prepare to take off. 

"Status?" I say, as we continue to fly the canyon course. 

It feels weird to fly this zigzag way. The weight of my body keeps switching around, and I have to do everything to really focus ahead of me.