Chapter 16

We didn't have much time left before the mission. Maverick hadn't told anyone that I was mission leader yet, but I was glad he hadn't. I didn't want people to think, I pulled the stunt to become team leader. I did it to save Maverick. To sav us. 

So, like a usual training day we were all running the course over and over again. I mostly flew with Phoenix and Bob and after many tries, we  finally made it succeed. Now, we just needed to make it succeed on the mission, if we were all being chosen. 

We were all improving that was for sure, but I was still worried. Who would be the two Foxtrot teams? Who would be my wingman?

"Okay, that's enough for today class. Get some rest and be ready for tomorrow" Maverick dismissed us. 

Tomorrow. 

The mission was tomorrow. All the hard work and scary moments we had all put into this would be happening tomorrow. It freaked me out, but at the same time I felt more ready than ever. I was going on that mission as team leader, and I was gonna bring everyone back home again as well. 

"Hey guys, why don't we all hang out at The Hard Deck tonight? In a way of relaxing before tomorrow?" Coyote suggests. 

Everyone is agreeing with my best friend and we all decide to meet up in about an hour at The Hard Deck. That gives me time to go back home, take a shower and put on a more comfortable outfit than my training suit or naval uniform. 

About an hour later, Jake and I pull up to The Hard Deck. This gives me major Deja-vu from the first night a few weeks ago. The night we all met each other and the night before we learned about this crazy mission. Oh to be that naïve and innocent again.

Almost everyone had already arrived. Bob was already beating Payback and Fanboy at pool, Rooster was shredding the piano while Phoenix and Halo sang along to the familiar tunes. And pretty much everyone else was just sitting or standing around, chatting with each other. 

I headed over to the pool table, where, judging by the looks of it, Coyote was really enjoying watching Fanboy and Payback loose so big to Bob.

"Hey dingus, what are we doing?" I catch Coyote's attention, the three other boys still very focus on their game of pool. 

Jake headed for the bar to get us a beer. 

"We're watching Bob kick their asses in pool" Coyote laughs making Bob look at Coyote and then me before he smiles. 

"Yeah, I should have warned the guys, Bob is a pool champion" I laugh along with Coyote. 

"It doesn't make any sense, how do you even do that?!" Fanboy cries in frustration while Payback gives him a small pat on the shoulder. 

Bob just looks at them and shrugs, "I don't know" he says with one of his innocent smiles, only making me and Coyote laugh even harder. 

Jake comes back with our beers and we stay and chat and watch the guys play some more pool for a while.

"I'm gonna grab another beer, I'll be right back" I tell my brother, leaving them to head towards the bar. 

"Penny! Hey!" I cheer, seeing as the sweet Penny is back behind the bar. 

"Luisa Seresin in own person" Penny smiles, "It's good to see you around here again, how are you?" she adds

"I'm doing alright, I'm sure Maverick has told you all about us being called back to Top Gun" I say, knowing about Maverick's huge and very obvious crush on Penny.